My first WSM arrives tomorrow!!!!

Congratulations!

If you have the time, I'd say start out with a pork shoulder/butt or chuck roast. They're pretty forgiving and could handle any temperature swings you experience while getting used to the WSM.

If you'd rather not deal with an overnighter you could try a brisket flat. I've had good luck taking them to a friend's house and cooking them in 6 hours or so.

If you're worried about them drying out, try a marinade beforehand.

Joe

I got mine about 2 years ago and can remember the feeling well
icon_smile.gif

I dove right in with an overnight 13 lb brisket, I wouldn't recommend it for a first time unless you don't want to sleep much.

I agree with Joe, pork butt (my new favorite thing to smoke) or ribs. Ribs because they don't take too long and you can get the feel for how the WSM functions. Pork butt because they are forgiving.

I've never done a brisket flat so have no comment on that.

Whatever you do, it'll be the best ever!

Welcome to your new addiction.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I think my first cook was beer butt chicken .... Hmmm. I can't remember! The smoke musta got in my eyes !

Colin,

That's awsome about your WSM! The question is, how many times have you been to the UPS site tracking your WSM during it's jorney
icon_biggrin.gif

I recommend Mr. Brown. As other people have said, it's forgiving, you get a lot of meat, and the taste...oh the taste...

A good first smoke is ribs! But if you want a longer cook... Pork Butt will get her seasoned and will always be a success. Welcome to the addiction!

If you're like me you'll get it late, and not have it set up till 6... if you want something you can eat that night it'll be chicken. Fast yet effective. That worked for me till I had more than a few hours.

Good luck!

Welcome aboard colin. When I first got my WSM everytime I would unpack a piece I would take it into the house and say "Ooooh honey look, look at this". I'd invariably get one of those roll-of-the-eye thingies.

Go for the butt if you have time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Hoofman:
Welcome aboard colin. When I first got my WSM everytime I would unpack a piece I would take it into the house and say "Ooooh honey look, look at this". I'd invariably get one of those roll-of-the-eye thingies. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did the same thing with my Wife, but it was while I was comparing it to the Brinkman I was "smoking" on for the past 3 years. I don't think it's hard for her to see the difference either.

I'm a displaced North Carolinian, so my vote for pork butt is naturally assumed. Do a couple of butts and make it a big event ... two 7lbs shoulders ougta burn a big hole in 18 hours. Then, through the magic of WSM, smoke, rub, and love of Q, you'll see something on the other side that will bring a tear to your eye and a pang in your stomach.

Rubbed butts ... yep, that'd be my vote.

I did pork butt my first cook and learned how to set temps that night. Lots of info on butts here. Just go with MR Brown youre first time and you will be happy. If you cant handle spicy, ease up on the black pepper a tad. No matter what you cook congrats on the WSM purchase.

Brian, quick question. I'm having PP for dinner on Saturday. What recipe do you recommend for a good vinegar sauce. Thanks<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian L.:
Don't forget the vinegar sauce to make it true NC style. The first time I tried it I was hooked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back