My First try at HH Brisket--Video

Bill Dials

Okay, I had to try it and must say I'm quite impressed with this method. (I've been a low/slow guy for at least 15 years...

Thanks you guys, for all your advice and write-ups on this!

I did have trouble keeping my WSM (18.5) at 350 (if the thermometer is accurate!). I only got a few drops of juice out of the foil when I took it off at 4 hours (perhaps too hot on my initial foil?) (I used mostly Kingsford blue, some mesquite lump at two small chunks mesquite.)

Anyhow, "the boss" loved it...and I was danged impressed (I mean wow-like impressed!)

Here's a 6 minute video of the whole cook--forgive some of the shakiness, the FLIP Video HD does not have steady-shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmy0LJyqHvU

Nice job Bill,
thanks for sharing!

I'm digging the vest too!
I may have to dig out my old photo vest and put it to use as queing vest.

Thanks for the video Bill! The brisket looked like it came out really well for you despite your temp questions. I'm getting really jealous of all the people cooking in warm weather though!

Good lookin brisket
icon_razz.gif

For your temperature questions... see my thread on how "wrong" the 2009 WSM lid temps are in relation to temps measured at with a probe through the lid. It's important because most folks when speaking of temperature are measuring with a probe through the lid. The WSM lid temp shows a very different temp for some reason. No big deal once you know how "off" it is.
Link to my thread on WSM lid temps vs. Probe through Vent

I just did a HH brisket with an empty water pan and with all vents open, the WSM lid read from 260-290 throughout the whole cook... no need to prop anything open. I figured this was around 330-350 measured at the vents with a probe. The brisket turned out great.

Hope this helps.

I just recently got a 22 1/2" and I tested the therm and it was within 5 degrees in boiling water.

The first cook I did on it; the WSM therm showed 225 degrees and my Taylor probe (which is dead accurate) through a vent hole showed nearly 250. So I'm at a loss to explain the difference in temps from one to the other.

Good looking brisket though. I'm doing one myself this weekend.

Outstanding looking...well, pretty much everything...the brisket, the outdoor kitchen, the pool, the weather...everything!!

Great job!

Hey guys, thanks for the comments!

And on the foil, yep, I'm going to go a bit earlier.

On the temp--is it possible that the lid acts as a big heat sink that could distort the stock Weber thermo...I know it has a probe too but...that's a pretty big difference.

I've had the WSM for almost a year now, lots of cooks on it, stays real steady in the Gray area and all my BBQ come out awesome...

Thanks again!

Gary -
Your video mentioned something about including a brick in the water pan. Wouldn't that act as a heat sink and work against the high heat? Loved the video - I haven't done a high heat cook yet on the WSM, but want too soon. Thanks for sharing.
Peter

Peter--(it's Bill BTW) I'm misusing the word heat sink. In electronics that means to take heat away (from a component).

I should have said Heat Stabilizer. The intent being like the guys that fill the bowl with sand, i.e., helpful in avoiding heat fluctuations...more stable temperature...but I could be way off here..
Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:

The first cook I did on it; the WSM therm showed 225 degrees and my Taylor probe (which is dead accurate) through a vent hole showed nearly 250. So I'm at a loss to explain the difference in temps from one to the other. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce - the therm you had in the vent is going to differ since it's the exhaust port on the smoker. Typically you should find it's hotter than the other built in lid therm. However, because the exhaust is constant, it's a great place to measure consistent temps.

Back