My First Smoker

Boston Jeff

TVWBB Fan
When I first started smoking I had an ECB , used that for two weekends , then decided to make my own . This was my take on my creation . Sorry if I posted this in wrong place . The intakes were cut down just below the lid and the exhaust was cut down to about 8".

file.php

Last edited:
that's a nice looking UDS! I've been talking about building a few of those with a few of my friends since I got a welder last summer.

I think I deleted them all as I gave it away , still kick myself in the butt for doing that . I will look for more pics , might have some on other card in old camera ..

Well I looked for more pics of that one but delete them all except that one picture of it . But here`s a new one I am working on . Just at the start of it , got inside and out cleaned , door cut in top cooking area , and a door in lower barrel for loading coal . Here`s a pic of it .
232323232%7Ffp54346%3Enu%3D3664%3E646%3E9%3C%3B%3E2755646%3A%3B%3C25%3Aot1lsi

Wow. So charcoal goes down in the bottom barrel, with the food up top? (You probably said as such in a previous post)

There will be a coal basket in the bottom barrel , with three air intakes , 1" ball valves , around the bottom barrel , or I will put the intake on door . There is a hole cut out in top barrel for the heat transfer from bottom barrel to the top barrel . I will be putting in the cooking grate supports this week along with making the cooking grates . then will be putting the exhaust stack on the barrel , still deciding placement for that .

I think you're going to want to make that door airtight with a ?nomex? bead? - the air adjustments are so small I'd think the thing would have hard running low with much airflow around the door. I was thinking of rigging a hook to pick up the charcoal basket (similar to a WSM's ring welded to the grate) and not having an access door...... not an original idea, I saw that somewhere

From what I've read too, some of the barrels are the same exact size as the 22" kettle I think, so you can use a kettle lid on your UDS & have your top level near the top of the barrel.

Back