My first Silver B restore

AndySo

TVWBB Member
My first attempt at restoring a Gold B, thanks to all the tips in this forum and other places. We grilled bratwurst, hot dogs, and other sausages on it to "inaugurate" it. This is my very first propane grill, the 2 you see in the background are a charcoal grill and an offset stick burner smoker. I was curious about the taste of propane grilled sausages versus charcoal, there is definitely the convenience factor involved with having the propane grill ready to go in 10 minutes from "lets do it", but its lacking a bit of the smokiness flavor I've gotten used to for so long. I'm still definitely keeping this around for convenience alone but its unlikely to replace my charcoal/wood ones.

This is the condition that I received this in
165013010_1865444580271184_5466662703142003348_n.jpg166354266_1865444236937885_8766747056267769481_n.jpg

I swapped the grates for a set of cast iron ones I salvaged from another unsuccessful Genesis Gold I picked up, after taking the whole thing apart completely, I washed it all, scraped out the cook box and lid, and took a wire wheel to places that I could not scrape clean by hand. After everything was nice and dry, I repainted the exterior of the cook box and end caps with high temp spray paint, repainted the entire frame with flat black regular spray paint, added new burner tubes and flavorizer bars, changed out the cook box hardware to stainless, added never seize to all of the bolts, and put it back together. The s/n was too worn for me to read so I have no idea what its age is. Do I have the grates on backwards?

IMG_4623.JPGIMG_4624.JPGIMG_4625.JPGIMG_4626.JPGIMG_4627.JPGIMG_4628.JPGIMG_4629.JPGIMG_4630.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job. Looks good The grates can go both ways. If you want thicker sear marks then flip them, if more exposure to heat source then pointy side up. If you want to add some smoke flavor but a smoke box with some chips or pellets in it on top of the flavor bars. I was a gasser for many years before just recently got a kettle and WSM.

What paint did you use on the firebox?
Rust-Oleum 7778830

I washed the outside with soap and water, dried it in the sun, there were some spots of heavy aluminum oxide which I took a wire wheel to knock off but I didn't get down to "bare metal". After the surface scrubbing I rinsed it again with just plain water and dried it in the sun again. Sprayed just the outside (I used a piece of cardboard cutout to block the paint from getting inside the cook box).

I managed to get the grease tray rail screws out with an impact driver and some pb-blaster, I had a hard time rinsing the pb-blaster completely away so I probably washed that area 4 times with soapy water plus a wipe with acetone inbetween to really try to get the oil off. That seemed to work well.

I don't think that is a Genesis Gold. At least the lid anyway. It could have had a lid swapped onto it, but I think that lid is a Silver B lid.

Don't sweat it Andy. Weber has some fairly deliniated lines of products, but I seem to learn something new about their grills every time I log onto this forum.

My first attempt at restoring a Gold B, thanks to all the tips in this forum and other places. We grilled bratwurst, hot dogs, and other sausages on it to "inaugurate" it. This is my very first propane grill, the 2 you see in the background are a charcoal grill and an offset stick burner smoker. I was curious about the taste of propane grilled sausages versus charcoal, there is definitely the convenience factor involved with having the propane grill ready to go in 10 minutes from "lets do it", but its lacking a bit of the smokiness flavor I've gotten used to for so long. I'm still definitely keeping this around for convenience alone but its unlikely to replace my charcoal/wood ones.

View attachment 27196View attachment 27197

I swapped the grates for a set of cast iron ones I salvaged from another unsuccessful Genesis Gold I picked up, after taking the whole thing apart completely, I washed it all, scraped out the cook box and lid, and took a wire wheel to places that I could not scrape clean by hand. After everything was nice and dry, I repainted the exterior of the cook box and end caps with high temp spray paint, repainted the entire frame with flat black regular spray paint, added new burner tubes and flavorizer bars, changed out the cook box hardware to stainless, added never seize to all of the bolts, and put it back together. The s/n was too worn for me to read so I have no idea what its age is. Do I have the grates on backwards?

View attachment 27198View attachment 27199View attachment 27200View attachment 27201View attachment 27202View attachment 27203View attachment 27204View attachment 27205

Right side end caps look like screws go through, left side shows no
screws going through end caps from the outside of the end caps. Why
the difference in end caps?

I did not notice that Mike. Good eye. Weber made two different style of that shaped end cap. One has studs build into the end cap and they use thread cutting nuts on them. The others with the obvious bolt holes are older and use bolts but with similar (not same) nuts on the inside.

Right side end caps look like screws go through, left side shows no
screws going through end caps from the outside of the end caps. Why
the difference in end caps?
Bruce's got it dead on. I thought the same when I took the end caps off, one side were these thread cutting sheet metal like nuts and the other were physical "bolts". I had a heck of a time getting those thread cutting nuts back ON after the fact though, they were easily removed with a wobble connection and an impact driver, but putting them back on, you almost need an extra pair of hands to hold the lid steady, then I had an long extension so I can apply force directly down on the nut (wobble connection sucked for this) so it will go down as straight as possible. I asked this exact question in an earlier post, so now I'm keeping an eye out for an end cap with a bolt connection for later swap out, but its likely one of those things that you take apart once and probably never again afterwards.

Be careful. The thread cutting nuts on the cap with the built in studs look just like the ones with the bolts. But, they are two different sizes. Getting the smaller bolt ones onto the studs is almost impossible without tearing them up.

Looks Good! Might take off the control panel and knobs and wash them with Dawn in the sink to add a little more appeal.

View attachment 27196View attachment 27197

View attachment 27198View attachment 27199View attachment 27200View attachment 27201View attachment 27202View attachment 27203View attachment 27204View attachment 27205
Looks Great Andy !!

Being from Texas I have never had a bratwurst, something I will have to attempt in the future.

Hmmmmm, yah, you should try some bratwurst. Being in Wisconsin, it is unavoidable. They are not some exotic food either like many foreign based foods (German).

View attachment 27202
Great restoration, I have the same grill still going strong. My serial number is missing but I think it's a 2001 or 2002. I just found some 9mm SS grates at the curb, so I'm thinking another 20 years for this workhorse.

I did notice your tank glides are on backwards. the plastic studs sticking out on the bottom shelf should be reversed so they protrude on the tank side.

Hey, Mark. Good eye on those bumpers. You are right, they are on backwards.
Great restoration, I have the same grill still going strong. My serial number is missing but I think it's a 2001 or 2002. I just found some 9mm SS grates at the curb, so I'm thinking another 20 years for this workhorse.

I did notice your tank glides are on backwards. the plastic studs sticking out on the bottom shelf should be reversed so they protrude on the tank side.
Ah, good eye for sure, I'll fix that! Thanks!

Back