My First Shoulder Picnic Cook!

Tony Hunter

TVWBB Pro
I smoked a 12lb. picnic and a bunch of wings (hot garlic buffalo wings). The picnic got done in 19 hours but that was because I cooked it at 225* the whole time. Not a problem - I had plenty of beer!
icon_biggrin.gif
I used Royal Oak in the WSM and it turned out great! Here is a pic of the pulled pork and a link to the full pic album.

All Pictures

Tony

Originally posted by Doug KC:
Dude those wings look awesome! Care to share how you cooked them?

They were really quite easy. I first coated the wings in olive oil (EVOO) and then sprinkled them with some dry rub. I smoked them for about 2 hours - maybe a little more, until they were done and the skin was easy to bite through. I used royal oak lump and hickory chunks in my Char-Griller w/SFB. Heat ran about 250* most of the time. Right at the end, I cranked the heat to a little over 300* to get the skin edible. They came off the smoker very tasty and the skin was not crispy but I could definitely bite through and chew very easily. The hot garlic sauce, I mixed up in advance so that when the wings were done I just dumped them into the sauce and let'em soak up some of that flavor too.

The hot garlic sauce was a "measured to taste" mix of 1 large bottle of Louisiana Hot Sauce, 2 sticks of butta, a tablespoon or so of liquid smoke, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, black pepper, a dash of red pepper flakes, and very good dose of garlic powder!

Thats it!

Tony

This all looks like an awesome meal!

Great pics too!

Always enjoy different wing recipes....I think the skin is too rubbery after just smoking and use the grill at the end to crisp them up.

Originally posted by Clark "Harbormaster" Hodgson:
Nice work Tony! That port looked incredible. Did you throw that skin on and smoke it too? Bet that would have been tasty rubbed and smoked.

Now see, I did not know I could have done that! How long should I smoke the skin? Is that a way to make cracklins? Or are you just kiddin'?
icon_smile.gif

Tony

Tony!
My brother and I used to do an annual pig roast we called "The Lord of the Flies Festival" and we roasted a pig skin on. Once done, we broke the skin off, put it in a big bowl, and folks ate it all night.

And I couldn't remember the word, but "cracklins" is what I was lookin' for.

Now I have to do another picnic so I can make some cracklins too!
icon_smile.gif
Seriously, the picnic was good but I like butts better so I planned on not doing another picnic for a while. But, with a chance to make some cracklins how can I not do it! I am totally there!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tony

Back