My first post, first WSM cook

Scott H.

TVWBB Member
Hello! I have enjoyed this board for months, and finally got a WSM shipped to my house last week. It was beautiful weather (70s) on Saturday, so I decided to break in the new toy. I did an 11 pound brisket. Had the coals (minion method) going at 6:00 AM, brought temp up to 230. Using Kingsford with some Hickory chunks mixed in, the WSM maintained this temp until 10:00 PM (16 hrs!) This is why I wanted one; tired of fighting my big side firebox smoker all day.
I put a temp gauge through one of the top vent holes; a threaded one designed to go into a mounting hole, so I secured it with the supplied nut and a washer large enough to hold it in place. I checked the accuracy by comparing it to my Polder probe, and it seems to be within about 2 degrees of what the Polder indicates.
The brisket was absolutely wonderful. On at 6:15, foiled loosely at 165 deg. at 1:45, removed to rest at 200 degrees. The sliced flat and chopped BBQ sandwiches didn't make it until Sunday, it was all eaten (had some family over). The only thing I will try next time is ceramic briquettes instead of water in the water pan. I want the bark to be firmer. All in all I'm extremely happy with the WSM, it's going to be a great companion to my Kettle.

Welcome to the forum, good to hear your first cook was a success.

I suggest you dind yourself a 14 inch unglazed clay pot bottom to sit in the water pan instead of the ceramic briquettes. You can find them at Walmart usually, it'll be marked made in Italy and have the number 36 stamped on it. Wrap the sucker in foil, sit it in the water pan (with no water of course) and enjoy.

Good post on the subject here - http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8680069052/m/9960084564

I don't think you're going to be able to get a firm bark if you foil the brisket. It's a tradeoff that I gladly make, though, because I love the juices that collect in the foil.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jared L.:
I don't think you're going to be able to get a firm bark if you foil the brisket. It's a tradeoff that I gladly make, though, because I love the juices that collect in the foil. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that Bill was talking about using balled up aluminum foil in the water pan or something similar to act as a heat sink. You'll find a multitude of ideas for replacing the water in the water pan. I still use water - it would be difficult to convince me that water in the pan leads to poorer bark formation. Someday I will get around to trying it...

The OP foiled his brisket, cooking it in it's own juices wrapped in foil is not going to help in making firm bark, that's what Jared was referring to.

Thanks for the help. I'll try the clay saucer, that sounds more manageable than briquettes. Also I'll go back to not foiling the meat, I tried that since so many people on this site do. If it comes out dreier than I'd like, I'll just go back to foiling (I never did this with my old stick burner). Next cook will be an all pork adventure for Superbowl Sunday, unless I can't wait that long.
Have a great weekend!

Back