My first high heat Deckel. Perfection

Gil Matar

TVWBB Fan
My kosher butcher gave me a beautiful deckel, essentially the brisket point, a few days ago. I've done many full packer briskets, but not just the point. This was a big one, 7 pounds. I decided to give it the high heat treatment.

I marinated it overnight in Guiness, Apple Juice and Balsamic. With minced garlic and sun dried tomatoes. I reserved the marinade and boiled it. Here it is before I put in the garlic slivers and before I applied the rub (instant espresso, brown sugar, garlic powder and chili powder).

10256475195_b9cbf585b6.jpg
[/url] 20131013_093631 by gilaadm, on Flickr[/IMG]

Since this is thinner than a full packer, and has fat on both sides, I decided to turn it over after 1 hour of smoking. And I realized that one end was rather thin, so I foiled that end after I turned it over, in order to protect that end from turning into jerky. I spritzed it with Apple Juice at this point.

10256538055_a401b59dec.jpg
[/url] 20131013_130449 by gilaadm, on Flickr[/IMG]

After another hour and a half it was at 170 degrees. I got the marinade up to a boil again, put the marinade into a foil pan, put in the brisket and tightly foiled it. Just in case I put it into two foil pans -- never want to lose juice!

After another 2 hours It was hitting 200. I tested it and it was fork tender. I let it rest for a while, still foiled. It was perfect.

10259379853_792bfa849a.jpg
[/url] 20131013_160539 by gilaadm, on Flickr[/IMG]

The high heat method is great. I've done many briskets both by midnight low and slow, and by high heat. I enjoy doing both, but I think I'm starting to favor the high heat process. The brisket is always tender and juicy, never dry.

As far as using just the deckel instead of the whole packer, I have to say that this was like butter. So tender and juicy. Incredibly flavorful. But since I like making burnt ends I'll probably still do a lot of whole packers, low and slow, so that I can separate the point to make burnt ends.

Last edited:
Gil the flavors you used are amazing, the point is my favorite part of the brisket and wish I could find them like that. Very well done Sir!

About 325 - 350, according to the top thermometer. But I don't consider that to be very reliable. I essentially lit a full chimney, got it real hot, poured it in and covered it with a mix of KB and Cowboy hardwood. With a few hickory chunks. I put the meat on after the ash settled. My probe thermometer is probably my most important smoking tool.

BTW, someone emailed me to let me know that the Deckel is NOT the point. It is a layer of meat and fat between the brisket and the ribs. And someone else told me it was the point. Now I'm going to have to ask my butcher what he means by "Deckel." The bottom line, however, is that it cooks up like a fatty, buttery brisket. And if it isn't the point, it is similar to it and can be cooked the same way.

Back