My First Cook

Dave B AZ

Purchased my first Weber last weekend ( a $45 CL find ) cleaned it up and read so many tips on this forum. I couldn’t wait to fire it up.

Went to Costco yesterday and picked up some baby backs, followed the advise from throughout this forum, and everything came out great.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post such great info... I’ve found a new addiction.

Attachments

• B036DA1C-2A8E-43AE-A165-B86ADCD82DBC.jpeg
    B036DA1C-2A8E-43AE-A165-B86ADCD82DBC.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 5AA26563-9861-4520-B54D-089D4381CE99.jpeg
    5AA26563-9861-4520-B54D-089D4381CE99.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 43
  • B9203FF6-D5AE-4CEC-A288-848063888ABA.jpeg
    B9203FF6-D5AE-4CEC-A288-848063888ABA.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 0F13BDB2-3EAC-439A-AD42-4381F63DC99A.jpeg
    0F13BDB2-3EAC-439A-AD42-4381F63DC99A.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 31
Welcome! Wow what a find and what a cook. Those look great! How did you cook them? How long?
Thanks Andy!

I use a rub recipe I found on the forum ( I guess a pretty basic one, brown sugar, salt, spices ).

Just used one of the coal baskets to one side,it held about 225 degrees throughout.

I did 2hrs on the rib rack ( adding a few hickory chunks during this period ), then removed, wrapped and did another 2 hrs.

Removed and glazed with some sweet and spicy sauce, then about an hr on the grill.
Wrapped again and rested 1hr...they came out moist, and smoky... the family loved them.

Again, found all this on this site, and with this being my first attempt, I couldn’t be happier... cheers

Dave,
That is a great find!!!!! And a great first cook.
Hey I noticed something in the photo of the grill, the lid bale seems to be half missed and half placed in upside down. Here is a picture of what should be on the opposite side of the table on your performer. The piece that is against your ash pan need flipped and then it looks like the lip and spindles are missing.
images (1).jpeg
Here is the part I think you are missing from webber.
I bet you could find it cheaper, but this was from my quick search, not sure if you are would e worries about this right now, but it makes it really nice just to slide your lid into the bale.
This is not my area of expertises so maybe some of the more seasoned webber rostorstionist can chim in here, but I just wanted to share. Man Dave that is a great find!

Dave,
That is a great find!!!!! And a great first cook.
Hey I noticed something in the photo of the grill, the lid bale seems to be half missed and half placed in upside down. Here is a picture of what should be on the opposite side of the table on your performer. The piece that is against your ash pan need flipped and then it looks like the lip and spindles are missing.
View attachment 11674
Here is the part I think you are missing from webber.
I bet you could find it cheaper, but this was from my quick search, not sure if you are would e worries about this right now, but it makes it really nice just to slide your lid into the bale.
This is not my area of expertises so maybe some of the more seasoned webber rostorstionist can chim in here, but I just wanted to share. Man Dave that is a great find!
Thanks Michael!

And thanks for the info on the part, after using the grill today, I realized I could use that, every time I took the lid off, I was like, where do I put this? 😆

Purchased my first Weber last weekend ( a $45 CL find ) cleaned it up and read so many tips on this forum. I couldn’t wait to fire it up.

Went to Costco yesterday and picked up some baby backs, followed the advise from throughout this forum, and everything came out great.

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to post such great info... I’ve found a new addiction.

Great looking ribs especially for a first cook! Nice amount of bone showing which is a good sign. Welcome to the addiction!

Thanks Michael!

And thanks for the info on the part, after using the grill today, I realized I could use that, every time I took the lid off, I was like, where do I put this? 😆
Dave,
If it we me, I WOULD be getting the replacement lid bale, my master touch kettle (same kettle as you, but no table or gas assist) has the lid bale and I would not know what to do without it. The WSM's do have the it and everytime I use that now I think I wish this had the lid bale or hinge. It should be an easy project as it is supposed to be there so the holes will already be part of your kettle. If you are interested you could put a post in either the Weber Charcoal Kettle Grills or in the Buys, Trading, Selling section to try to find out, if anyone has one, or if there is a better option then buying from Weber.

First things first, that was an amazing first cook, nice job!!

great observation Micheal I couldn’t live without the lid bale. Yeah it sucks when u get such a killer deal and have to spend almost as much on a part.

Dave,
If it we me, I WOULD be getting the replacement lid bale, my master touch kettle (same kettle as you, but no table or gas assist) has the lid bale and I would not know what to do without it. The WSM's do have the it and everytime I use that now I think I wish this had the lid bale or hinge. It should be an easy project as it is supposed to be there so the holes will already be part of your kettle. If you are interested you could put a post in either the Weber Charcoal Kettle Grills or in the Buys, Trading, Selling section to try to find out, if anyone has one, or if there is a better option then buying from Weber.
Thanks for the info Micheal...I went to the Weber site for the part, unfortunately they are out of stock. I will try the other options you suggested 👍

Back