My first "catering" job

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
I have cooked many times for close friends and several times for co-workers, but I have my first real cook for "others" this weekend. I'm loading all my smoking stuff up on Friday and driving up to Nashville to cook overnight for my brother-in-law's 35th birthday party on Saturday afternoon. Expecting about 35-40 adults plus kids.

I am only smoking butts for pulled pork. He doesn't smoke, but fancies himself a decent griller. He plans on grilling several racks of ribs. Another friend of his is grilling his "famous" wings.

I can't decide how much to cook. Two 8 pound butts would probably be enough. We will have apps, the ribs and wings, and some sides. There will be birthday cake as well. I think I will probably do three butts anyway.

I plan on doing 1 or 2 with Chris Lilly's rub and injection recipe and serving "plain". I have done this many times. The other 1 or 2 I plan on using K Kruger's metamorphisis rub and his vinegar based pulled pork finishing sauce. I have made the rub several times, but have not done his finishing sauce before. I hope it works well.

Wish me luck.

Any helpful hints or ideas are appreciated.

Relax.

Don't sweat things. I'm sure you'll produce the best BBQ those folks have ever had (espcially if they like the chain BBQ restaurant by the mall...any mall).

Bring lots of BBQ sauce.

If it's too cold, you can always finish things in the oven (they'll still love it).

I would do 4 butts ( 2 on each grate ). You have the room might as well use it! And you cant beat leftovers!!! Good luck! Im sure you will do just fine! Let us know how it turned out.
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers

Tim, I think you're right. I'll probably go ahead with 4 butts. My brother-in-law is jealous of my FoodSaver. He wants one for Christmas. I'll probably pack it up with all my smoking gear and save a butt for he and my sister to keep.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Clendenning:
I would do 4 butts ( 2 on each grate ). You have the room might as well use it! And you cant beat leftovers!!! Good luck! Im sure you will do just fine! Let us know how it turned out.
icon_cool.gif

Windy City Smokers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would do what Tim says. I usually cook 1 lb (raw wt.) per person. This allows everyone to eat their fill, and leftovers to be had! Pork is cheap. If he is "grilling" ribs, most likely, folks will gravitate to your pork so, have plenty! Dave "Woodman" Hutson

Hello Lee,

What time and where is all I can ask? I am less than a hour west of Nashville!!! Sounds like a nice party.

I have done a bunch of these type deals and you have a good plan together. I would also do 4 jsut to fill up the WSM and vac seal leftovers for quests as well as family if you have enough that is. My last one I done 12 butts for about 100 people and had very little leftover.

Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out. You will do fine.

Well, things went great!

Cooked 4 butts as we discussed. Air temps were in the 20's, but got a great 15 hour cook with the charcoal ring stuffed with Rancher and 7 or 8 wood chunks. Smoker temps held beautifully at 225 with the DigiQ II. Added no extra fuel.

Did 2 butts with the Chris Lilly injection and rub. Tossed in a little extra rub while pulling. Did the other 2 with K Kruger Metamorphisis rub and pulled with his vinegar based finishing sauce.

It was my first try with the finishing sauce and I'm not sure it was exactly as K Kruger intended it, but I thought it was pretty good...a lot of it got eaten.

Many at the party were impressed with the difference between the 2 selections.

I think my pork was very good on it's own, but it was made even better by my less than stellar cooking partners. My brother-in-law, who tends to drink at least one beer per charcoal briquette he uses, nearly burnt the ribs. And his buddy who planned on his "famous" wings couldn't make it over in time to cook so he brought several boxes of wings with him from the local wing joint. I guess it's safe to say that I'll remain the only real BBQer in the group for now.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My brother-in-law, who tends to drink at least one beer per charcoal briquette he uses, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey, I resemble that comment! LOL.

I'm sold on finishing sauces, it makes great Q even better. I'm especially sold on it when I'm vac. sealing it.

Glad everything turned out well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lee Morris:
Well, things went great!

It was my first try with the finishing sauce and I'm not sure it was exactly as K Kruger intended it, but I thought it was pretty good...a lot of it got eaten. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad to hear that it went well for you.
icon_cool.gif

As far as the finishing sauce goes I add it when pulling the butt, along with the same rub used for the butts. Then either serve or cool then vac seal. When using a finishing sauce for brisket. I paint a thin coat on the cut side up slices when plating. I can't remember the last time I made a butt or brisket without a finishing sauce. I really adds another dimension to the meat.
icon_wink.gif

Back