My First Brisket

Mark (markx3)

TVWBB Member
Hi!
So I just bought a 5lb select cut brisket from Wal Mart for $17.00. I figured it doesn't have to be the best cut since I'm going to cook it slow and low anyways. Please let me know your thoughts on my cooking plan.

1) The brisket doesnt look like it needs much trimming but I'll make sure theres a thin layer of fat.

2) Wash the brisket and pat dry it with paper towels.

3) Apply my favorite rub.

4) I'm using original Kingsford with some oak chunks. I'll fill the bowl to the top and use 1 chimney full of K using the Minion method.

5) I'll cook it fat side up for 1.5 hrs a pound and take it off at around 180ish internal temp.

6) Let it rest for at least 1 hr wrapped in tin foil.

I'm not planning on filling the water pan with anything to get a good bark on the outside.

Okay bbq pros please let me know your thoughts on this strategy!

Thanks!

Mark, you may find that the internal temp isn't going to be all that important. I would say once you reach 180* you will still not be done, and the best way to check for done is to insert your probe into the brisket and if it goes in with no resistance, then it's done. You may find your internal to 180, or 187 or 190 or 200, but when the probe goes in nice and smooth... You're done. Enjoy your brisket Mark, take lots of pics as well.

Thanks for the advise Ed!
So If dinner is at 7pm what time should I put the brisket on the Q? I was thinking of putting in on at 9am. I could take it off around 5ish give or take.

What do you think about not putting water in the pan?

Is it okay to put the meat on the Q once the coals are grayed over and let the temp rise while the meat is in the Q?

Thanks!

Mark, when I was doing briskets low and slow I always allowed at least 12 hours. Now that I do high heat they are done within 5-6 hours. Plan long ,if you're done before that it's great but if you plan short on your time and it takes longer. You're going to have lots of hungry eyes staring at you wondering when. Too much pressure for me
icon_biggrin.gif
Good luck . Keep us posted

Thanks for the advice Paul. I'm going to take it! Also after reading Harry Soo's posts I'm going to foil after about 4 hrs. I'll take some pics tonight of the brisket before and after applying the rub. Then more on Sat, stay tuned and I'm sure I'll be posting with more questions!

Thanks!

Mark, one other suggestion. Cook fat side down. It acts as a buffer between the meat and the heat. I never cook fat side up. I think your schedule looks doable just allow plenty of time to rest. I allow anywhere between 1 1/2 to 2 hours resting. Remember two things go by the feel of the meat not necessarily temps and it's done when it's done. Oh yeah, cover your water pan with foil. Will save you a lot of time in cleaning it out after wards. Have fun
wsmsmile8gm.gif

so I just put my brisket on using the Minion method. I put if fat side down, even though I liked the idea of the fat dripping into the meat if it were fat side up.

I'm definitely going to foil it when it's done, but I still don't know if I should foil it after it's been on for 4 hrs.
icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">even though I liked the idea of the fat dripping into the meat if it were fat side up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It doesn't. It just drips off. It doesn't somehow absorb into the meat or anything like that.

If it's only a 5-lb piece of a brisket I'd foil when it hits 160, irrespective of the time.

Thanks Kevin for the info. When should I take it off if it's foiled at 160? I've been told earlier not to worry about temp, just make sire its probe tender. But if its wrapped in foil, how do I know when to take it off once it reached 160 and its been wrapped? Should I have it wrapped in foil with my temp gauge still in it and take it off at around 180ish?

Thanks! My brisket has been on for 1 hr so far.

You take it off once it's tender; you tell tender by how it feels. You can foil with the probe in it or you can foil then stick the probe in through the foil. When the brisket hits the mid- to upper-180s open the foil and remove the probe. Poke the brisket with the probe, once, in the middle of the thicker part. If it feels like the probe is going in with no resustance the brisket is done; if not, leave the probe out, if you wish, close the foil again and cook another 30 min or so and check again. If it is done, good, if not, wrap and go longer. If it feels closer but not there yet check sooner, say in 15-20 min, then every 15 or so thereafter, if needed, till done.

After you cook a few of these you'll be able to get a good idea of how much longer it will be after checking the first time - just by how it feels.

Well after almost 4 hrs on the Q it reached 180ish so I took it off and wrapped it in foil and placed it in a cooler. I didnt foil it while on the Q but I just foiled it and threw it in a cooler. I'll let it sit for a few hrs and then try it out! I should have took a pic while it was in the Q but I was so busy dealing with it (since I'm a noob) I forgot. I'll take one when I unwrap it from the foil.

Mark,how tender was the meat when you took it off??? Remember, It's not just about temp it's if the meat is done

I took it off at 183ish and it seemed probe tender to a noob like me. I've let it rest in foil for a few hours and theres really no bark with upsets me. I never foiled the brisket while in the Q so I thought there would be. I took some samples from the end of the brisket after an hour of resting in foil. It was OKAY. Not toooooo tender but definitely smoky. We're going to warm it in the oven if needed soon and take pics soon!

Thanks!

I probably cooked 30 briskets or more before I made one that I liked at all. Now brisket is my favoite.

183 isnt to the point of being tender enough in my opinion. I start checking @ 185 but knowing that 195 is closer to what im looking for. Ive seen a few tender at 190 but some over the 200 mark. They can be stubborn.

yea, that temp is just to early. i cook till about 195-198 for sliced and over 200 for near shredable. last one i cooked i cooked till the probe went in easily. it was very good and soft but just to near shredable for me. i guess i'll have do more cooks. such a bad thing, right?
icon_biggrin.gif

Back