My first brisket

W Terry

Used big bad beef rub and holy crap was it spicy. Think I used too much. I also thought it was a little dry/tough.

prefoil.jpg

slicked.jpg

Can't wait to give it another shot. I did this one at about 250, so maybe a little lower next time. Dropped it on the grill around 12:30pm and around 5 I believe the temp was 180 so I took it off, double foiled, added 1/2 cup apple juice and put it back on for about an hour. It hit 190 and I took it off and wrapped it in a towel (over the foil) and put it in the cooler for about 90 minutes. I used 1 fist sized apple and 1 fist sized hickory for the smoke.

The cooktemp was fine. Lower is not going to make much difference.

Looks like a flat. Or a piece of flat. Kind of hard to tell at that angle. It also looks a bit undercooked. (Nice ring.) If foiling, since it's not thin, foil at ~165. Then cook it till it feels tender (a probe inserted into the center goes in with little resistance), rest 20 min or so tented, then serve.

It was indeed a HOF. I couldn't find a whole brisket. Since this was my first one and I was pressed for time (people coming over to watch the game) I pulled it when the meat hit 190. I stupidly didn't check for tenderness. Next time I will allow myself more time and use less rub and less Chipotle powder!

It was a very good first effort.

Foiling sooner will shorten the cook.

Should you need to remove the brisket a bit prior to its reaching tenderness - but you still have time - you cam rest the wrapped brisket longer to allow residual cooking to carry it to tender. Put the foil-wrapped meat in a cooler stuffed with towels or, if only doing a flat or two, in a microwave stuffed with towels. Residual cooking is not necessarily as reliable but it can work.

Cant really help you with the brisket.(cant get it here in Sweden)

But it looks great to me. Hard to tell tenderness from a pic,So i have to trust you on the tough part
icon_wink.gif

Nice pics but(dont wanna be a police here)uppload max size recommendations is 1024x768.

But you are on your way to nail it for sure! Keep the brisket post´s comming!

Sorry, first picture post. I resized them! I will do another one in a week or so. Ribs and Boston butts have come out excellent. I figured brisket would be the hardest.

Ive tryed this rub and love it but I used less chayenne and or chipotle powder and I think youll be tasten good!

Could just be me, but it looks like it was sliced starting at one end and then horizontally all the way down, instead of identifying how the grain ran-but it could be hard to tell from just a pic. Did you make sure to cut perpendicular to the grain? Usually when I cut a brisket I start at a corner and the cuts run diagonal with the brisket. Can be hard to see the direction with a lot of bark, might have had to do with the toughness though.

Yup and yes I did use the Auber. I am doing a butt right now and it is almost at the 12hr mark, about 162 degress (meat temp). Put it on last night around 8:30pm, setup the auber and went about my business. Woke up this morning and pit temp is within 1-2 degrees of what I set the Auber to. Great investment.

Smokerings have nothing to do with smoke penetration. It's a chemical reaction on the surface of the meat that may or may not extend inside. Smoke does not penetrate meat appreciably during barbecuing. It sticks to the surface.

Back