My First Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So I got my WSM about a week ago and I couldn't be more pleased! My first cook was some sausage ( I figure start with the basics). Next I did a chciken and it was one of the best I've ever had. Feeling confident, I decided to try my hand at the big daddy of them all. Brisket!

I started my cook at 12:30. All went well and soon my temp had equalized. I checked it on and off throughout the night, but I should have just gotten some shut eye, my temp stayed as constant as one could hope.

When I woke the next morning I stirred the coals around to bring the temp up a little (it had fallen to 200). Looking in fuel chamber it became clear I was going to need a little more coal so I drove to the store and got some. With a fresh set of coals in the smoker All was well and finally after about 13 hours It was time to get my masterpeice. It had a beautiful looking crust, the meat was tender and juicy. I took one bite and ....

This brisket is an abomination to BBQ. I don't know what it is, but the flavor was all off. In all fairness, my rub consisted of what I could find in my kitchen, I guess I should have prepared a little better. Maybe next time

Willis

That cook may not have been your best, but if taste was the only problem, you're in good shape. How was the texture and moisture? Those are the hard things to get right. You can get a rub off the shelf if the flavor didn't work for you.

Another point - you should be able to get more than 13 hours out of a full ring. Weather plays a factor in that, but on a good day, you should get 13+ hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Willis:
...but the flavor was all off... Willis <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In what way?

OK so I figured out what happened, and learned a valuble lesson. Late in the cook I decided to spray the brisket with apple juice. I had a buddy of mine assisting me with the cook. I told him to bring me a spray bottle with the apple juice inside. I didn't have an empty spare one, but I did have one with some oxi clean in it. He rinsed the bottle extensively , but he never sprayed out the remining cleaner in the nozzle itself DOH!. That's one night of smoking I'll never get back lol.

As a post script, while it was lack luster as far as BBQ goes, it made for some of my best chili ever!

The lesson here is if your friends are idiots keep their asistance limited to bringing you beer while you do the dirty work
icon_smile.gif
_

I agree Willis, for those "friends" who are not current Pitbosses in their own right, the WSM should be looked at from a distance and admired! If they get within 6' they are indeed to close and who knows what could happen from there...ie oxi clean?!!?! YIKES!!!

Glad to hear it made good chili W!!
icon_smile.gif

"What you talk'n about Willis?" Chris doing his Gary Coleman impersonation
icon_biggrin.gif

It may not have been the best tasting brisket, but it was probably the cleanest.
icon_biggrin.gif

Keep that friend out of the kitchen.

Oxi-clean?? GAh! I guess on the good side if you dropped any on your shirt the stain should have cleaned itself!
icon_biggrin.gif

good story!!!!
icon_smile.gif

i was wondering , what kinda of spices could you have put on to make it so so so horrible.....good answer
thanks for the chuckle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Willis:
So I got my WSM about a week ago and I couldn't be more pleased! My first cook was some sausage ( I figure start with the basics). Next I did a chciken and it was one of the best I've ever had. Feeling confident, I decided to try my hand at the big daddy of them all. Brisket!

I started my cook at 12:30. All went well and soon my temp had equalized. I checked it on and off throughout the night, but I should have just gotten some shut eye, my temp stayed as constant as one could hope.

When I woke the next morning I stirred the coals around to bring the temp up a little (it had fallen to 200). Looking in fuel chamber it became clear I was going to need a little more coal so I drove to the store and got some. With a fresh set of coals in the smoker All was well and finally after about 13 hours It was time to get my masterpeice. It had a beautiful looking crust, the meat was tender and juicy. I took one bite and ....

This brisket is an abomination to BBQ. I don't know what it is, but the flavor was all off. In all fairness, my rub consisted of what I could find in my kitchen, I guess I should have prepared a little better. Maybe next time

Willis <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't be discouraged! You'll get it. I waited about 6 months after I got my WSM to try a brisket. Just kept putting it off cause I heard it was hard to cook. I got lucky on my first one and it was really good. Link to pics below.
http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=qmein&password=20030517

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back