My First Brisket done HH

Ken_K

TVWBB Super Fan
This is the first time I have ever attempted brisket. Where I live an overnight cook is just not practical so I am all about the HH.

This was a 13 lb packer from Wal-Mart rubbed with Larry's wonderful WRO.

This cook went very well. I am quite acquainted with my cooker and how to get it into the temp range I need. So getting into the 325-350 range was not a problem. All in all it took about 4 hours and 20 minutes. I ran it in smoke for 2 hours 20 minutes then foiled, I did not temp at all. Took it off the smoker and rested for 30 minutes while the mac & cheese baked, and it sliced to perfection. This really came out phenomenally. I used some Fat Johnny's Baterdized Piedmont sauce from the recipe section just because I love that sauce and put it on most everything.

Here are the pics

Rubbed with WRO...
HHBrisket7-18-09001.jpg

After the rest...
HHBrisket7-18-09001.jpg

Sliced...
HHBrisket7-18-09006.jpg

Plated...
HHBrisket7-18-09009.jpg

Looks great Ken. You got a darn nice smokering there for a HH brisket cook. Nice job and the loaded plate looks fantastic.
icon_cool.gif

EDIT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken_K:
I used some Fat Johnny's Baterdized Piedmont sauce from the recipe section just because I love that sauce </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah Ken, That's pretty darn good stuff. I make that all the time for pulled pork. Guys at work go Bonkers over it.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Looks great Ken. You got a darn nice smokering there for a HH brisket cook. Nice job and the loaded plate looks fantastic.
icon_cool.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bryan, I really laid the smoke on in the beginning, hickory and apple.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D. L. Whitehead:
Hi Ken,

Nice looking first brisket! And, great color on that plate!

I creosoted my first brisket...

### </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks DL my Mac & Cheese recipe is sort of a hybrid of one of Alton Brown's, his recipe is for stove top mac but once I make that I put it in a pan and top it with some nice extra sharp cheddar and bake it off.

If it's any consolation I came real close to overcooking this one, but managed to get it off just in time.

I meant to say a special thanks to Kevin and Bryan whom I have pestered in emails with brisket questions. I appreciate your guy's willingness to share knowledge and experience. And to the others who have contributed so much to the various HH threads. It made it so much easier for me to accomplish success my first time out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Awesome brisket Ken!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Larry WRO really went well with it!

Wow Ken - very nice. That smoke ring is awesome. Did you pull from the fridge, rub and throw on the smoker right away?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Wow Ken - very nice. That smoke ring is awesome. Did you pull from the fridge, rub and throw on the smoker right away? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah pretty much, I pulled from the fridge, applied the rub, then lit my Minion briqs, then assembled right away and added the meat straight on. I laid the smoke on heavy early since it would only be in the smoke for a short time.

Back