My First Boston Butt

Jon M in NC

No photos, but here's a video of it. I haven't figured out the whole photobucket thing yet.

http://youtu.be/_55qZUms_ig

Let me be up front and acknowledge the fact that I used cheap store bought rubs and spices. I'm on a budget these days and just couldn't afford to buy all the stuff that goes into making a home made rub. I picked up my butt from BJ's (8.31 lbs) for about $15. I applied my rub/injection around 9pm and set the butt aside in the firdge. Around 2am I got started and set up the cooker. I threw the butt on at 3. After checking the temp a few times, which was around 215-220, I went to bed and woke around 9am to find it around 240. As it drew near noon, the outdoor temp continued to rise into the upper 80's. It was 72 when i started. Just as it was nearly done, at about 1130 (internal temp 193), i had to back a two of the vents down to about 50%. At 1230 it was near 290 and the butt was done (internal 203). I wrapped it in foil and let it rest for an hour or so. When I unwrapped it, the meat was still hot and the bone came clean out. Most of the fat that was left behind was easy to shed and I was quite pleased by this. I was unable to weigh the end result, but I figured it yeilded about 4-5 lbs of pulled pork.

Nice job on the video and the pulled pork looks good to me. There's nothing wrong with using store bought rubs and sauces. We all use them from time to time

Sometimes simple is best Jon. I've never used a prepared rub on any of my pork butts. My last 6 pork butts have been turbinado sugar, kosher salt, and granulated onion and garlic - the last one I omitted the onion and garlic. I've been happy with all of them because with less "cooked in" flavors the pork renders itself open to BBQ sauce, Carolina sauce, Mexican flavorings for carnitas tacos, burritos, etc., or no sauce at all! It's all good!

Sometimes simple is best Jon. I've never used a prepared rub on any of my pork butts. My last 6 pork butts have been turbinado sugar, kosher salt, and granulated onion and garlic - the last one I omitted the onion and garlic. I've been happy with all of them because with less "cooked in" flavors the pork renders itself open to BBQ sauce, Carolina sauce, Mexican flavorings for carnitas tacos, burritos, etc., or no sauce at all! It's all good!

That's a good point. Thanks for the tip.

OK Jon, I just watched your video - excellent! Great choice of music too! I love Greg Brown!

Thanks! I'm a huge Greg Brown fan. I got to see him a few years ago in concert. The guy is a master singer/song writer. I wish he & Iris would do an album together.

Thanks! I'm a huge Greg Brown fan. I got to see him a few years ago in concert. The guy is a master singer/song writer. I wish he & Iris would do an album together.

I was bummed when Greg got divorced, and kinda surprised when I found out he married Iris. She's great with John Prine on the album "In Spite Of Ourselves".

Oops - off subject...sorry. I really liked your video! The pork butt looks terrific!

Back