My First 12 Pounder !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright Folks, i have just purchased my first 12.5 pounder brisket...my wifes bro just had a baby boy and for fri night and sat day im having 15 of her relatives over my house.. and my mom in law told me she wants me to make THAT AWSOME BRISKET!! i told her as long as shes paying ill do it....huh hum.. now shall i tell ya how much it set her back....and i got a "good deal" (remember its Kosher meat).. ok he gave it to me for 7.99 a pound...so it came to $102.60.... now hows that for a brisket?!?! cant mess this one up guys....oh and i got the butcher trim it nicely for me...i went in the back with him and i told him what to take off...he was really excited when i told him that i needed that fat cuz im smokin it for 15 or so hours....he did a really nice job....ok now for my questions or how about this .. ill let ya konw what im doin and you tell me if it sounds ok....

First im going to let it sit in some worshereser(sp) sause and some rub over night and i was thinking of starting the whole process around 6 pm tom night... i really dont want to have to worry about this during the day on fri....theres gonna be a whole lot of other preperations..ill have to be runnin all over the place gettin cakes and candy andd tables and chairs.. so i really need my fri day....i thouht about doing it now but tom for about 5 hours i have to go somewhere and no one will be home and i dont want to risk it...already i dont have a remote thermometer and no Guru in site...yikes $100 im dealin with here.. the presure is on....
so ill put it in 6pm thurs MM of course and ill go to sleep around 12 am makin sure the WSM is pretty stable.. ill wake around 3 or 4 to check on it, of course ill turn around half way mark and the last two hours my new secret schpritz..2 parts ACV and one part VO..thanks to huh hum...im keepin it on the low down!!
and then prob around 10 am or 11am it should be ready to take off....temp around 180-190 and ill let it cool for 20-30 min slice and then store in alumenum(man i cant spell)
Maybe then ill reheat in the pan covered in the WSM? or reheat in Oven? (maybe with some apple juice in bottom of pan?)
Let me know what ya PROs Think??? oh and im prob gonna make some beans and slaw..i checked out the condiment links...oh yum... thanks for everything guys i couldnt have even got this far without ya....take care
Mords

I left my WSM home alone for about three hours last Sunday without incident, but then it was an $8.65 pork picnic, not a $100+ brisket.

Worcestershire: pronounced "wooster-shir".
icon_wink.gif

Mort
Leaving a brisket in "wooster-shir" may take that brisket too far in that direction. May I suggest taking your rub and making a paste out of it with a combination of apple juice and a smaller amount of "wooster-shir".
Worcestershire is a strong flavor (1/4 to 1/2 tsp will change the flavor of a sauce) and would push your flavor print too far one way.
Have a good cook, let us know how it turns out.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
Alright, funny boy.

Leicestershire: pronounced "lester-shir". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! This is gettin' good!!
icon_cool.gif

Mords,

If it were me, I might consider hiring well fed armed guards for that bad boy.
icon_wink.gif

No advice from me. You have already had some serious "voice of experience" happening already.

BTW, I thought it was "wish-ta-shish-ta-shish-ta-shire" and "aluminium". I attended the George Bush school of elocution.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chet:

BTW, I thought it was "wish-ta-shish-ta-shish-ta-shire" and "aluminium". I attended the George Bush school of elocution.
icon_biggrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! (Wiping the screen.)
Good one, Chet!

Mords, did you get the texas bbq rub off the website that was linked here a wile back? That guy has a 3 minuet method...wostershire sauce first and then the rub all over the meat making kind of like a paste as Jim mentioned.

Great luck to you and remember, we all bought the WSM becasue of its unique ability to hold a consistent temp. for a long period of time!! You'll do fine...you have experience under your belt so if anything...you should be supremely confident when all this goes down!! Take pics for me to see!!

Hey, neat! I know how you feel about the price (well, almost)---my first brisket was 4.99 a lb (a winter price I guess---since then, it's dropped considerably).

Like others, I'd warn you off the worcestershire, but sounds like you've used it before on your briskets (?), so go lightly.

IF you do need to run around, the GREAT news about that big old brisket, and the good ol' WSM is that if you start her off good, with not too many lit coals, using the minion method, and a full water pan, and you close 2 bottom vents and use just one to regulate the temp, and get her set real nice, I bet you can safely leave her for a few hours while you schlepp around. You are unlikely to accidentally run so hot as to ruin the thing, in my thinking anyway.

Well....mazel tov on the nephew, and hope your schvigger and the whole mishpacha enjoy noshing on yer brisket until they plotz.

$102.60!? HOLY COW. I'd be as nervous as a sore tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
I think I'd spend Thursday looking for a couple of remote probes to use for a primary and a secondary. Then I'd figure out a way to anchor the WSM to the ground to keep me from knocking it over. Then I'd go get me one of them Aluminum carports for about $600 to cover the area just in case.
15 of the inlaws coming over you say? Lock up the guns and have a divorce lawyer standing by. But that's just me.
Seriously, Good Luck.

Ken, please realize that Mords has to use Kosher meat which, due to its process, comes at a much higher price then what you or I eat. My brisket is $2.58/lb at a local butcher shoppe.

Still, with that much muuulah riding on it, my man Mords will come through like a champion!!

Did I mention pics!!
icon_biggrin.gif

OK i just finished watchin Starsky and Hutch and i laughed throughout the movie and now reading your posts im ROLFLMAO! OK OK ill get the spellin write.......
i might have gotten confused with the "W" sauce (thank you very much everyone for the correctioning. but W is how im goign to leave it for now) Neways.. i think i read it on that BBQ rub website...Thanks Jim , i guess i read it wrong.....THEY do it buy just puttin on the W sauce and then their rub righ away...I do NOT have their rub and now i wont be lettin it marinate in the W sauce...i really have never used it before...(can you believe?)
maybe ill just use a lil before i put my rub on..oh i use the one from smoke and spice.. its called Wild Willeys rub i think
ya and i guesss me and George will get along great with our spelling...
So i guess....mmmm...maybe ill do it thurs night...oh boy....and ill give myself some cushion time and keep it warm in a cooler...alright but as for the rub ill use Jim advise....
thanks
Mords

Thanks Chet, but i have my 2 and a half year old gaurding the WSM.........and yes its aluminium...but did you look at the box? heeh

and greg im planning on gettin that rub everyone speaks so highly about it.....and as for pics.. mmm...do i have to have asite for that or can i just load it up as attachment??mmm
where is my digital camera anyways?

and Suzy-Q wow u shocked me there....schvigger...mishpacha...oh you the real deal.. next your gonna tell me your live in Flatbush NY

Ken-- you werent so far off.. HOLY COW!!! they dont come cheap ya know....and at the store they were in shock cuz no one buys that much meat at one time

i will definitally take pics.....and thank your very much for advice with the W sauce wow what a mistake that would have been.....and thanks for the confindence and encouragement.......ya got me good suzy......

Mords

(now im editing this...but i think im going to skip the W sauce. i didnt realize it has such a strong taste.. and i dont want to experiment with such an expensive piece of meat and when cooking for so many ppl.. i will def try next time though.. thanks......Hey can we get spell check on this ...????;-)

not bad for a shikseh(non jewish woman)! by any chance is your mother or mother's mother jewish?
good day!
MOrds
keep smilin

THe 12 pounder is nicely sitting in the fridge with wild willys rub on it... no W sauce..ill save experimenting for another time...thanks guys...just took my first pic of it...later
Mords

GUYS YOU WONT BELIEVE WHAT I HAVE JUST RECIEVED IN THE MAIL TODAY?!?!?!?!?!? YUP ITS THE GURU...AH MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED...ok your right i could have done it with all of your advise you have given but this is just an added assurance......AAAAhhh!!! alright guys...gonna set this thing up now.. take care
Mords

Mords, don't slice it first and then hold it. You want to hold it wrapped in foil and towels then put it in a cooler and hold till dinner time. Slice it just before serving.Brisket starts to dry out as soon as you slice it. Good luck with everything you'll do great
icon_wink.gif
. My GURU came today also
icon_biggrin.gif
Later Bryan<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> let it cool for 20-30 in slice and then store in alumenum <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks bryan ill wait to slice it thanks...well...as you know i got the guru.....
so i think if i hold temp at 225 starting from 8pm and prob will set done temp at 185...i dont want to use the Ramp feature yet cuz i have plenty of time and dont my meat to start out so high..right?

so i figure around 3 or 4 pm itll be done...now lets say its got another 10 degrees to go and i want it done.. i can always set it on the ramp feature ...(u know on ramp mode it never does say how the WSM will get to the higher temp.....neways...) and then itll hold it at my desired temp which will be 185....until around 7...or i might take it out and put in cooler...

oh ill also prob be lighting about 10 hot coals and 4 chunks of Mesquite wood..
i know i should not put water in pan however it never does mention that....ill checked the search but couldnt really come up with a really comprehensive info on this.....ok wishe me luck startin her up right now....

if you have any theories of recomends let me know .. i can always make changes....

thanks
Mords

Yeee Hawwwww! Another Party!! Where you at, Mords?

10 to 15 coals is good. 4 chunks of Mesquite, that might be a little strong for me (I ain't a Texan ~ Been to Lackland, tho)
icon_biggrin.gif

Good idea to get to know the Guru before incoporating the ramp mode
icon_wink.gif

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes (I'm sure you will
icon_cool.gif
)

PICS!!!

BTW, Glad that issue worked out for you
icon_smile.gif

Thanks bill ill use about 10 coals i guess.. i thought of 4 chunks cuz its such a large piece.. i usually use about 3 with a smaller one...hey..will see what happens.. its a good point though cuz whe you cook for a lot of ppl you wanna go a lil conservative.. you catering folks know about that.....and ya im really gonna stay away from ramp for now.. i got plenty of time that if at 225 its taking to long i can always just bump it up till like 250...and im pretty much free tom so i got time to tend eventhough i really dont have to...oh and i just filled up the entire rim with coals...waiting another hour before i start er up
thanks bill.. and yes i already took pics cuz its with a regular camera so prob have to wait until monday for them to turn them into digi ones....
thanks
Mords

This Q-ing stuff is so much fun!! woo hoo..
i was doing some research on the boards and i came across this from shot gun fred....from someone who linked it...but see i was worried about doing the ramp mode cuz i didnt want the WSm to get soo soo hot like 300.. since i have plenty of time and no need.. slow and low right... and if your NOT in the ramp mode when the meat is done itll beep but if you dont do anything about the meat can go higher. however it seems you can start not THAT high.. just at 225 and when it gets close to target temp itll lower wsm temp and make sure its being held at the desired temp....

OY VAY...

Hello. The ramp feature is best explained like this:

Example:
Pit Setpoint Temp.(cooking temp.) 225? F
Meat Setpoint Temp.(meat done temp.) 190? F

The BBQ Guru's fan will run continuously until the Pit Temp. reaches 225?. Once the Pit Temp. reaches 225?, the fan will now pulse air into the grill as needed to maintain this temperature. The BBQ Guru will check the current Pit Temp. several times every second to determine how often the fan must pulse to maintain this temperature.

In Ramp Mode, when the meat temp. reaches 25? of its "done temp." (in this case 165?), the Pit Temp. will gradually lower so that your Meat Temp. comes up slower and never exceeds 190?. The BBQ Guru will hold that meat at 190? until you run out of fuel.

I hope I explained this in a way that everyone will understand. Feel free to call me for further info.

To which I asked for further clarification:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back