My favorite pork shoulder I've done so far...

Very nice! I am not a very experienced smoker but in December 2016 with 1 week off work I simply said "self? Just buy one and do a brisket with what [Internet] data I have. Since, I've done a couple others and all three have been a pleasure among family and friends. Thus far, they have proven to be as simple as shoulders, which to date I have never brined.

Very nice! I am not a very experienced smoker but in December 2016 with 1 week off work I simply said "self? Just buy one and do a brisket with what [Internet] data I have. Since, I've done a couple others and all three have been a pleasure among family and friends. Thus far, they have proven to be as simple as shoulders, which to date I have never brined.
I do a brine from an Alton Brown recipe for pork shoulder. 3qts of water, 12oz of kosher salt, and 8oz of molasses. I might start playing with adding seasoning but I don't want to mess up a good thing.

Great looking job on the pork shoulder Jim. Love that bark. I prefer not to wrap either but I did buy some butcher to try. 12 hours was a pretty decent time for that shoulder, especially without the crutch. I'm curious about the weight on that butt and what temp you ran your smoker?

Great looking job on the pork shoulder Jim. Love that bark. I prefer not to wrap either but I did buy some butcher to try. 12 hours was a pretty decent time for that shoulder, especially without the crutch. I'm curious about the weight on that butt and what temp you ran your smoker?
It was 8.7lbs and I updated the post with a cook log at the bottom. I ran between 225 and 258.

For some reason my computer wouldn't open your post. But from the comments it sounds like you nailed it!

For some reason my computer wouldn't open your post. But from the comments it sounds like you nailed it!
Apparently I never put my new credit card number into my hosting account and my account got suspended. Its been paid and the site is back up!

I do a brine from an Alton Brown recipe for pork shoulder. 3qts of water, 12oz of kosher salt, and 8oz of molasses. I might start playing with adding seasoning but I don't want to mess up a good thing.

I've been meaning to try that brine out. After removing it from the brine, do you rinse it? Also, do you add any rub to the outside (other than the mustard slather)?

Back