MY EYES ARE BIGGER THAN MY PIT!

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
Just squeezed close to 45lbs of butts onto my WSM. These are for the Saturday graduation party. I'm planning on pulling them when they finish sometime tomorrow night and then reheating for Saturday. I'm using water in the pan vs. the usual sand and I loaded the charcoal ring with as much charcoal as I could get in it without it overflowing with about 8 good size hunks of hickory. We are getting ready to have a heck of a thunderstorm, I have the umbrella up and the ET-73's in Zip Loc bags. I started off with about 15 lit briquettes due to the mass of meat to help get the pit temps up a bit quicker. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Larry, You go man. Nice looking Butts
icon_razz.gif
Keep us posted on the progress. Dang blasted rain.
icon_mad.gif

Good luck! 15 might not be enough - when I added a 3rd grate for a chicken cook, I packed it so full of chicken I don't think it ever got higher than 275 - and that was with 2 fully lit chimneys put in at once - not Minion method. Problem was finally determined to be airflow - once those puppies shrink up a bit, might not be a problem, but I would anticipate some minor troubles getting up to temp - just something to be on the lookout for! Also looks like you might get a few crispy edges - but bark is good! Keep us informed! I know people are dying to see how a 6 butt cook with a WSM that full works out!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Moore:
Good luck! 15 might not be enough - when I added a 3rd grate for a chicken cook, I packed it so full of chicken I don't think it ever got higher than 275 - and that was with 2 fully lit chimneys put in at once - not Minion method. Problem was finally determined to be airflow - once those puppies shrink up a bit, might not be a problem, but I would anticipate some minor troubles getting up to temp - just something to be on the lookout for! Also looks like you might get a few crispy edges - but bark is good! Keep us informed! I know people are dying to see how a 6 butt cook with a WSM that full works out! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've done 4 butts totalling 32lbs before with no problem. Shouldn't have many burnt edges, butts shrink pretty quick, so airflow shouldn't be much of an issue. They've been on now for less than an hour in a really bad thunderstorm and my pit temp is up to 181* already. I'll keep ya'll posted.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
I've done 4 butts totalling 32lbs before with no problem. Shouldn't have many burnt edges, butts shrink pretty quick, so airflow shouldn't be much of an issue. They've been on now for less than an hour in a really bad thunderstorm and my pit temp is up to 181* already. I'll keep ya'll posted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Larry, Your fine my man. The Butts will shrink up might quick and the air will be flowing around them before you know it. No worries.
icon_biggrin.gif

Yep, temps are slowing climbing to my 250* dome temp. Gonna let them stablize and hit the hay!! I'll have both ET-73's next to the bed so if things start to drop or rise, they'll wake me up!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Yep, temps are slowing climbing to my 250* dome temp. Gonna let them stablize and hit the hay!! I'll have both ET-73's next to the bed so if things start to drop or rise, they'll wake me up!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nothing like a good nights sleep Larry. Make sure you give us an apdate in the AM. Sleep well.
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yep, temps are slowing climbing to my 250* dome temp. Gonna let them stablize and hit the hay!! I'll have both ET-73's next to the bed so if things start to drop or rise, they'll wake me up!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That depends on how much beer you had Larry :p
Looking good!! What time did you say dinner was?

Rath *making a come back*

It will be okay.
You have a magic WSM.
It makes all food that enters come out well.

wsmsmile8gm.gif
just stop peeking.

And welcome back Rath.

Larry,

Call me the next time you have a big cook! I live just off of Rte.17 south of you. I'd be happy to bring up my WSM.

MikeZ

Well I am going on about the 11th of the cook so far and it has been pretty uneventful so far. Except for the torrential downpours we had for most of the night. I am anticipating this cook will take a total of 20+ hours. Woke up around 2am, added some water and tapped the legs to get the ash to fall through. Temps have held very stable all night, meat temps at 163*.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Zarecky:
Larry,

Call me the next time you have a big cook! I live just off of Rte.17 south of you. I'd be happy to bring up my WSM.

MikeZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike, I'll have to take you up on that offer and I'll feed you too!!! I live just off School house road off of 17!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'ll have both ET-73's next to the bed so </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha! So THAT's where my Maverick disappeared to!

Awesome cook, Larry! Why did you decide on water and not sand?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">'ll have both ET-73's next to the bed so </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aha! So THAT's where my Maverick disappeared to!

Awesome cook, Larry! Why did you decide on water and not sand? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Radiant heat". I always use water when I use the bottom grate. I just ordered the second ET-73, it registers 4* hotter than it should. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Looks great Larry. I'll be loading up like that for a family outing in July. I may get another WSM to do some Tip Roast for it also.
Hope it all goes well for you!

Larry,
Think you got enough meat in there, buddy?
icon_smile.gif

I'm surprised you did stuff a few butts into the water pan.
icon_wink.gif

They look great!

Loren

About 15 hours into the cook, I just spritzed with a bit of AJ, to get rid of a bit of ash off the meat. Meat temp finally is starting to rise, up to 166*.

Here's a couple pic's at the 18hr mark. All of the butts are at 186, except the huge one it's sitting at 170*. These are cooking much fast than I was anticipating.

Back