My Do's and Don't of Winter Cooking

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
After a few mistakes I'd like to share my hardships to save someone else some pain (in a particular area that I fell on)

Do's

Sweep all snow on the ground away from the WSM... its melts, refreazes, and makes for a nice fall. Believe me... I know.

Don't

Leave your WSM sitting out in the cold uncovered. My bowl filled up with ash, was rained on and then froze. This included the entire charcoal grate. Solution Start the chimney on the charcoal grate. I had to let it burn past the point that I would normally dump it, but eventually it warmed the grate and the bowl enough that the ice and goop slid out.

Don't try to kick the frozen water out of your brinkman charcoal pan.. it works but I dented it and shatterd the enamel in one spot. OOPS
icon_frown.gif

Be safe out there fellow smokers and heed my warnings. SWEEP YOUR SNOW AWAY!

Josh

Snow? What snow? We don't have no stinkin' snow down here in the civilized part of the country?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">in the civilized part of the country? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pete,

I lived in Chattanooga about 30 years ago and some winters there was a LOT of snow - does that make the area "uncivilized"? Ha!

By the way, when I was there the folks from over the mountain (Soddy-Daisy area) were definitely not considered as civilized as the real Chattanoogans.

Best part of Chattanooga was the late summer evening since you are just on the western edge of the Eastern time zone.

Ray

Ray,

Every time (Every time!!) there is a flurry here people talk about the snow of '93 when we got 18" here. That was the last time there was a decent snow down here in the valley that I am aware of.

You are correct about pockets of civilization - I live right on the edge where if you go further north you get to Birchwood. Nice folks in Birchwood, just different... You wouldn't recognize Soddy Daisy these days. No more hillbilly feuds and lots of new houses. It's kind of become a popular bedroom community/suburb of Chattanooga. Don't worry, still plenty of trailers wedged in between the new neigborhoods.

Wintertime barbecuing presents few real challenges.

-Pete

Yeah Pete - Soddy Daisy had some real fueds when I was there. Are they still mining coal on that mountain?

Ray

Not to sound like a jerk, but it hit the low eighties here in So Cal yesterday.

I don't know how you guys live with all that cold white stuff on ground.

My wife would tell you its all these hot ladies we horde up here in the north........ I just tend to complain alot it helps.

Ray - there is no coal mining here in the vicinity of the Scenic City. Miners have been replaced by tourists and outdoorsman, I think.

John White said:
"I don't know how you guys live with all that cold white stuff on ground."

My ninety-one year old neighbor said it best when I once asked when he was going to retire to a warmer climate. "Well", he said, "I spent 85 years in these parts and the one thing I can say for certain is that it's easy to get warm but you never really become cool."

Other advantages of living where the snow flies:
*Your enclosed porch becomes a walk-in fidge/freezer, perfect for storing holiday leftovers.
*Your beer doesn't get warm while you tend to your WSM.
*New meaning to the term "tall frosty".
*Road salt and snow are great for making homemade ice cream.
*A paper cup full of snow and real maple syrup beats any Slurpee from 7-11 anytime - at least in the eyes of the six-year-old that made it.
*Watching folks that have never driven in snow, drive in snow.

There's more, but...

Alan
"Red meat's not bad for you. "It's fuzzy green meat that'll kill ya!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John White:
Not to sound like a jerk, but it hit the low eighties here in So Cal yesterday.

I don't know how you guys live with all that cold white stuff on ground. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how you guys live with the ground moving around (earthquakes, mudslides, . . ).
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ray - there is no coal mining here in the vicinity of the Scenic City </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pete,

There used to be a big mine over at Whitwell - I've been over there and have seen old photos where the miners exited the mine and rode down the rails on skates that sat on to return to their homes. Probably the fore-runner to taday's skateboarding.

Ray

I grew up in the frozen tundra of northern Nevada. When I turned 18, I grabbed a snow shovel and started walking south. I didn't stop until somebody looked at it and asked "What the hell is that?"

That's the story I'm sticking to.

John

Back