My Country Ham

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
I rinsed & de-salted this for 24 hours in a cooler. Changing the water 3 times. Threw it on the M1, gonna cook at 300* figuring 6 hours.
Here she is at the start.
nDkH1L4.jpg

Little over 3 hours in. Also smoking some of Bobs bacon. LOL
XOFUzlJ.jpg

MLwQiKp.jpg

Bobs bacon is done & 18 lb ham is starting to look guud.
I also was running a water pan under the ham to help cook it & keep it moist
pVkr5dc.jpg

Here she is done with a brown sugar pineapple mix.
Looks guud, but looks can be deceiving lol....
3T1ZSKz.jpg

Heres a little bit of it plated up. It was a little tough & man was it SALT city.
I'll be going back to city hams, dad is coming out & we will warm up some in the crock pot. See what we can make of it today.
Matter of fact got on the Honey Ham site this morning & ordered a half spiral cut ham. They are so GUUD!
But all in all it was a fun cook & I enjoyed making the attempt. It kept me busy most of the day.
Have a nice Easter everyone if possible.
The Olins

I've never attempted a ham like that, from start to finish, but you inspired me to think more seriously about it. Nice job on the cook; looks great.

Well Russ, it sure looks gorgeous! Sorry you weren't completely pleased with it. I've learned a lot about country hams from this and your prior post. Thanks for all the detail. Hope you have a great time with your dad later today.

That's a big ol hunka ham there... how much did that guy weigh? Looks good and the plated shot looks Excellent!

Sorry that you weren't happy with the results, sure looks good. I've never tried the real deal due to my salt restrictions.

Back