My Choice of Mods for My 22 WSM, Thanks to This Forum and You Good People

Gene Brownson

TVWBB All-Star
I've been super busy, just when I thought I could slow down a little more.....how does the saying go? "best laid plans"? Oh well. Here we go. After much reading and research on here and asking questions, here's the path I decided to go.
I bought a CB rotisserie for my 22" kettle, when I did I bought the ring that reverses and fits the WSM. So, I bought the CB WSM upgrade package. The SS door.
003.jpg

It fit perfect. I had read that some others had problems reattaching the original handle, it seemed that they may have stripped the screw that threads into a plastic piece in the the handle. I wanted to make a definite note,"DON'T MAN HANDLE THE HANDLE STUPID"....and I didn't..shew :)
I also got the high air flow charcoal ring.
002.jpg

I used an electric set of metal shears to trim out some extruded metal to place on top of the charcoal grate. Also, I bought some 7" U bolts that I attached to both the extruded metal and the original charcoal grate.
I then wired both grates with the U bolts to the charcoal ring to make them one and easier to remove.
005.jpg

I also bought another set of 6" U bolts and attached the to the bottom cooking grate to make it easier to remove also.
006-1.jpg

I called Weber and asked if they'd send me a set of handles, the kind that go on the Weber fire pit. These guys and gals are awesome. They were happy to do so, and they fit perfect and matched the Weber look.
004.jpg

Last and surely not least, I had bought a Maverick ET-732. I wanted to a least keep an eye on my WSM temp, I'm not so concerned about the meat temp. I stumbled across the "Bob Mann" mod through the side. I thought, well since I'm drilling all the these holes in my brand new cooker, what's one more right?
007.jpg

008.jpg

I thought the egg corn cap makes a dandy touch.
Thanks to all of you and your wealth of knowledge it will make smoking on my new WSM much easier with all the mods that not only Bob placed but a big thanks to Chris.TVWB is awesome and loaded with info for rookies like myself. I boast of this site and you all every time the opportunity arises. Thank you and Thanks to you Chris.:)

Nice mods. I especially like the fire pit handles. Can I get the Weber part number?

...but I do see one problem: that's a very clean cooker -- you're gonna have to get some cookin done! :wsm:

Last edited:
Very clean and looks sharp. Now,we need some very clean and sharp looking pictures of your smoked food........LOL!:wsm:

Last edited:
Alan, not sure but I don't think I would've bought galvanized. It's been awhile since I bought all of the stuff. But, I think I did my homework on the hardware before I pulled the trigger.

Dwain, I googled Weber Fire Pit and looked at the assembly instruction manual and called them while I had it up and gave them the # from there. They were very helpful.

Nice mods! I love the ss door and the look of the charcoal ring with the neatly cut extruded metal. I need to put some of those U-bolts on mine

That SS door looks great! I didn't even know they made such a thing, but you've got me thinking about getting one for my WSM. That thing looks awesome! Nice mods.

Nice mods and I did most of them like you did and even made me some brackets for the same handles for the sides. I really like the mesh in the charcoal grate and ring and that will work nice for lump...I just ran 2 grates in my with the bars crossed opposite ways but like yours better. I used a gas cap for my probe hole but like your decorative cap better ! My last mod will be the CB stainless door. Yours looks great!

holy mackerel ! that thing is pimped to the utmost ! that acorn grommet cap is a hoot ! good luck , brother .:wsm:

Does the cover still fit with those handles attached?

I have the same handles on mine but facing vertical and the Weber cover fits over with no issues other than a little snug starting it over them. I cant see how having them horizontal would create a much snugger fit but Gene will be able to tell you for sure.

Wow! Those are AMAZING modifications! I have a question. I've cooked quite a bit on my 22.5 WSM. Is it still ok to drill holes or will that cause damage due to the fact that my smoker has all of the guck buildup...I'm talking about drilling holes to run probes...please just let me know.

I installed a probe grommet in my 22 WSM after it had been well used. Center punch where you want the hole drilled (from the outside) and use a small bit for a pilot hole then drill with whatever size bit you need for your grommet. You won't have any problems.

Thanks Scotty. I thought someone said that CB grommets didn't require drilling but I don't know if those are for the 18 or the 22. That is why this particular modification got my attention. I'm still trying to decide on what type of pit blower system to buy. That cyberq WiFi looks fantastic but I like the fact that the Stoker would allow me to purchase a 2nd pit and run them both from the same system.....just can't seem to decide.

If you get your grommets from BBQGuru, you won't have to drill. They replace the grate bracket screws.
They are only $9.45 for a pair with installation tool.

If you get your grommets from BBQGuru, you won't have to drill. They replace the grate bracket screws.
They are only $9.45 for a pair with installation tool.

The BBQ Guru grommets will not fit the Maverick probes. And things get tight pretty quickly when you start thinking about multiple probes for an ATC too.

Might as well save the money and just do the 1/4" lamp nipple mod right off the bat.

Dan and Scott......thanks.....I will probably go with the 1/4 lamp nipple. I'm guessing a hardware store would have everything I need. I just hope the local big box store has someone who can process what I'm trying to tell them from a concept point of view. As far as the drilling is concerned, I'll probably get the help of someone who knows something about punching good clean holes.....I'd never forgive myself if I screwed it up.

Back