My charcoal source has dried up (New England)

Dave B.

TVWBB Member
Well, the title says it all. I finally found a Wal-Mart in the area with a ton of Royal Oak natural charcoal in stock, and bought a few bags. When I went back to get more, they'd sold out & the area (garden/seasonal) now only had plastic Santas and fake Christmas trees. Same with all the other places I've been to.

It's gonna be a loooong winter if I don't have anywhere to buy charcoal from. I've got a couple of bags of Royal Oak left and about 50 lbs of Kingsford blue. Any ideas from the New Englanders on where to pick some natural charcoal up over the next 5 frigid months?

I don't know where you are in Conn, but two suggestions come to mind.
1) There is this place in Woonsocket, RI. I was last there about a year ago. They sell charcoal all year. I paid $9.+ for the 18 lb bags of some good stuff.
2) Then there is Wicked Good's site here With freight it is a little expensive, but it's a source to get you through the winter, and it's delivered right to your door.
I'm in the same boat as you when I run out. Nobody near me sells charcoal this time of year that I know of. HTH
Oops, I forgot. Ace Hardware near me does stock some during the winter. Maybe one near you does too.

Dave, thanks - that's really helpful. I've got a RI connection, so I'll ask him to pick some up in Woonsocket the next time he comes down to CT.

My Aubuchon Hardware store carries RO. I asked if he could order me some to get me through the winter. And had no problem with it. I'm not as hard core as some as you guy's but I got four bag's. And he said I could get more if I run out halfway through the winter.

Ask the garden center manager just because it's not out on the floor doesn't mean they don't have it. I thought our Wally World was out of Kingsford till I asked the cashier and she said I'll go get you some. I bought 21 more bags using the $6.00 off coupon. Will buy 20 more next week and the week after and the week after.

Yeah, I'm able to find the Kingsford, plus I'm stocked up on that but I really like using the natural charcoal.

I went into another Wally World today and the manager told me the Royal Oak was gone for the season and they wouldn't have any at least until January....I guess I can use my Kingsford to get me through until then. Will also check my local Ace Hardware. Thanks, all.

I picked up 6 bags of Kingsford Competition at Lowe's in Milford last week. They looked like they were at the end of their supply, or they just needed to re-stock. I've found that it's really hard to find decent stuff in CT once October rolls around. . . . especially if you want lump.

Back