My brisket is too big!

Mike F (The Wino)

Okay you smokin' pros:

My puny little 18.5" Smokey Mountain smoker is too small for this gargantuan brisket I picked up yesterday. So, can I fold over the flat or should I hack off enough of it so it will fit?

(I really don't have time to get a new 22" smoker before this weekend, so please don't suggest it!
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Last edited:
Mike. just wedge it between the handles on the top cooking grate. As it cooks it will shrink down a good bit. You might want to put some foil on both ends, under the brisket to protect the ends from the hot zone. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
you can wad up some foil or something under the middle to arch it up a bit, in a few hours it will fit fine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what putting it inbetween the handles does.
icon_wink.gif

Mike, you can also drape it over a rib rack or soda can. It will shrink and you can remove during your cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LarryR:
Mike, you can also drape it over a rib rack or soda can. It will shrink and you can remove during your cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used an empty beer can in the past that worked until it shrunk to fit.

Great ideas, everyone! I was gonna do the lump in the middle thing until I read the cooking topic on "Brisket Selection & Preparation", which suggested simply folding the last few inches of flat under itself until it shrinks enough to flatten out. I did that and it worked great.

What took me to the cooking topic was that even though I've Q'd several briskets, I've never really understood where the flat separated from the point. After reading it, I was finally able to find the "seam" between the two sections. In the past, my flats have overcooked, so this time, after 10 hours of smoking I removed the flat right at this seam so it wouldn't dry out.

That's why I love this site! Great topics, great help. And between the brisket and the wine, I'm a demigod!

(Let's see....it's 9:30 AM, the brisket is done, and my guest don't arrive until 2 PM.....I guess it's time for some Merlot and a nap!)

Cheers!

Back