My ~$3 Grill Connection

Jon Zoss

So I recently replaced the cardboard grill connection with a "BETA" version on my permanent connection for my BGE. So I just wanted something simple and I wanted to see if I could get a gravity damper. Anyway here is my parts list.

1. 1'' to 1 1/2'' pvc pipe fitting. It was like $2.50 at home depot
2. Piece of bent sheet metal from the vent section at home depot.. $0.69
3. Dental Floss
4. Duct tape

So first I cut a square piece of the sheet metal so act ad the slide to attach to the BGE. I used card board to get the size right then cut the metal the same size. Then.. I cut a a circle of metal that fit inside the pipe fitting. Where the fitting converted size, it has a plastic "ring" inside that prevents the metal from falling backwards. Anyway, I drilled a hole through the top of the pipe fitting and poked a hole in the metal circle, then using the dental floss I hung the metal circle. So what happens now is when the fan turns on.. the damper opens the air moves as normal. Once the fan turns off, the damper close off all the air. I have used it several times now, and it works very well,it only took about 15 minutes to put together. I attached pictures. Anyway, I was going to replace the duct tape with something that looks better, but it works really good. Anyway take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think.

20130824_200043.jpg

20130824_200051.jpg

20130824_200117.jpg

I give you points for trying and achieving a working damper with such basic materials, but that thing is gonna look kinda out of place on a $700+ ceramic cooker!

I would suggest you try out a servo damper, I think Kamado's work much better with the natural flow (regulated by a servo damper) than they do with a blower, cause Kamado grills are designed to have low air flow to start with. Typical (cheaper) smokers tend to leak a lot of heat and therefore work much better with the blower. Thanks to Bryan now we have the option to run the servo damper AND the blower at the same time if we want....

A servo damper is pretty cheap to make, I think you should be able to get it done for less than $20 and some elbow grease, the servo doesnt cost much at all and the rest of the parts can be made out of very inexpensive PVC tubing. Check out the Servo Damper Pictures thread for ideas. You will also see my (very cheap to make) Ping Pong valve there which you could try out if this one doesn't stand up to the test of time.

Last edited:
Also, Ralph's method of using sheet copper and a copper fitting soldered together worked great for me. i use a piece of 1" pool hose to connect it to my fan. It does allow some airflow when the fan is off, but i have solved that with some silicone. It has the advantage of being very sturdy and is easily put on and taken off the BGE just like the piece that is currently used to close the bottom vent. To make it tight in the vent slot I use it with the screen that comes with the BGE.

So far it has been able to do a decent job of keeping the temp at 225. Don't think that i can get much lower than that without using something other than the pool hose.

So I agree it is a bit rough with the tape right now, but it works well.. I was able to do a temp of 210. It slides into the BGE just like the sheet metal that closes the BGE all the way off.

I really wanted a simple cheap connection, I thought it might be fun and help someone else out.

For version 2, which I have been thinking about, I want to do it with only sheet metal and the plumbing fitting.. I think it will look nice..

Now for the damper, that would be cool.. With the BGE I don't think you need the fan, but it is nice.. I used the Heatermeter to do cedar plank salmon the other day, and I just used it to keep the grill at 350, and the fan helped get the temperature up faster, which is nice. Anyway, it fun to play with.. If anyone cares, I was going to make a paper template to guide me how to fold the metal to make a fan holder, I can post it once I am done.. Unless no one cares... then I won't :)

On a side note.. would it not be awesome to use the servo to control the top of the grill and the fan on the bottom :)

While I have had thought of a servo to control the top vent, I would still lean toward using a servo damper on the bottom vent as well (instead of just a fan). IMHO a Kamado doesn't need a fan, it does help stoke the fire up quicker which is nice, but in the end it pushes too much air through the Kamado and kinda defeats the purpose (low air flow to create heat, keeps meat moist). If I had to choose between a fan or servo damper on a Kamado I would go with the damper, thankfully Bryan changed the HM configuration to be able to run both so we can have the best of both worlds.

If you go with a damper on your BGE I would suggest you design it in a way that will allow you to attach the fan to the end of it, this way you can set the fan to be "on at max only", it will stoke up your fire fast and then turn off and let the servo damper take over as the pit temp nears the target....

I hadn't planned on selling any of my 3D printed parts, but lately I've started to get a little BGE envy and have been tossing around the idea to make/sell some dampers to help buy me a BGE. The cost of the BGE IMHO is simply outrageous, I could never picture me spending that kind of money on a grill, but if I earned some extra side cash to pay for it I guess I could justify it that way. I like my FauxMado just fine really, but I get a lot of requests to cook pizza's these days and I thought if I had a BGE anchored on my deck I could do a little conversion on my FauxMado that would enable me to pack it up and take it on the road for pizza parties etc. (cause it is so much lighter than a real ceramic Kamado)
IDK, just an idea I've been tossing around lately....

Fwiw, I got my Vision Classic Kamado (ceramic) at Costco last year at the end of the season. It was originally $570, but was down to $250. I actually bought it at $350, but when they dropped the price on the remaining one, I got them to refund/pricematch. It's pretty close to a Large BGE. And a good bit cheaper if you can get it at the end of the season.

I've been very pleased with it. I had a problem w/ the top daisy wheel (plastic bit fell off), and they sent a new one gratis. Got her 2 days later. Vision seems to be trying to really get in the game.

Costco has a lifetime return policy, so while you might not be able to get a replacement if they stop selling them, you can always get your $ back.

Fwiw, I would have happily bought a damper setup, but have just finished making mine. Pics soon once it's had a chance to do it's thing.

job

Sounds like a good deal on the Costco unit... I've been thinking about dropping sams for Costco lately, even though it's a bit more of a drive I think I will like Costco better.... Do they advertise their seasonal deals online? If I able able to see a too good to resist deal on their website that might give me the kick I need to make the move....

If you haven't, I'd suggest checking out the kamadoguru.com forum. Lot's of helpful people there and good buying advice.

Re Costco...

The closeout deals (prices end in .00) are store by store, and not advertised. But if you troll some of the deal site forums or kamado forums, people post when the Kamado closeouts happen.

They do have coupons online.

My general feeling is that you may not (usually) pay much less than other places. But, you usually get better quality. (Prime vs Choice meat) And you won't ever get screwed. The coupons and closeouts can be screaming deals.

One way to try Costco before you buy: Get someone to buy you a gift card or three for any amount (I think they require $10 min), then you can shop and buy whatever making up the difference with your debit card or cash. It's not something they encourage, but they do allow it.

job

Ralph

Let me first start by saying I agree.. The BGE's price is crazy.. And I did a lot of research .. and really it took me 5 years before I actually bought one, and what kicked me over the edge was a buddy built a new table for his and was getting rid of his table.. So I tested out a lot of other grills, read reviews and what not.. I looked at the Costco grill and http://goo.gl/Qt0qQA . Now they all look good, but I still think the BGE is worth it. I get better results than the guy I know with one from Costco, I think the top is not domed enough... I don't know. I am sure if you got a grill kamado joe or something it would be close.. I have only had the BGE for 6 months, but it was so worth it. My wife thinks the Cedar Plank Salmon I make is the best, so I go that going for me. Anyway... I know it's lots, but in the end I was happy I spent more and got what I wanted. So my tips

1. Build a table before you buy the grill, you can find plans online.
2. Get the table setter :)

Ralph

Let me first start by saying I agree.. The BGE's price is crazy.. And I did a lot of research .. and really it took me 5 years before I actually bought one, and what kicked me over the edge was a buddy built a new table for his and was getting rid of his table.. So I tested out a lot of other grills, read reviews and what not.. I looked at the Costco grill and http://goo.gl/Qt0qQA . Now they all look good, but I still think the BGE is worth it. I get better results than the guy I know with one from Costco, I think the top is not domed enough... I don't know. I am sure if you got a grill kamado joe or something it would be close.. I have only had the BGE for 6 months, but it was so worth it. My wife thinks the Cedar Plank Salmon I make is the best, so I go that going for me. Anyway... I know it's lots, but in the end I was happy I spent more and got what I wanted. So my tips

1. Build a table before you buy the grill, you can find plans online.
2. Get the table setter :)

I went through the same process before I bought my BGE and am extremely happy with my choice.

1. Instead of a table, I built a dry stack using 12x6 wall pavers top with a 3/4" slate top that match my patio. Egg sits right not top and it can be moved.
2. I have one, but don't really use it often.

Ralph, check eggfests or other events in your area. I bought mine from a local BGE rib fest a dealer was hosting. The deal was it would be used that one day and discounted $300 off retail. Dealers around here only sell at list so it truly was $300 off. When I showed up to pick it up we were waiting for the ceramic to cool so we could load it in the truck, but there was one BGE in the bunch that hadn't been used at all. They gave me that one and I didn't ask questions. Anyways, it's a heck of a deal if you don't mind letting someone else get the first cook, or in my case getting the first cook myself.

Ralph, check eggfests or other events in your area. I bought mine from a local BGE rib fest a dealer was hosting. The deal was it would be used that one day and discounted $300 off retail. Dealers around here only sell at list so it truly was $300 off. When I showed up to pick it up we were waiting for the ceramic to cool so we could load it in the truck, but there was one BGE in the bunch that hadn't been used at all. They gave me that one and I didn't ask questions. Anyways, it's a heck of a deal if you don't mind letting someone else get the first cook, or in my case getting the first cook myself.

That sounds really great, but I've never heard of an "Eggfest" before so I would have to do some research. I'm doubtful there will be one very close to me cause I don't see many $700+ grills selling around these parts, the dollar store models are the big seller around here. Although I have no problem driving a bit to get that kind of a deal on a BGE. If you hear of anything going on in the Chicago or surrounding area (even up to Milwaukee) please let me know (via PM so I wont have to fight other forum members over it! LOL). I will get searching right now, cause there is only a short window of opportunity to have that sort of event here in the midwest at this point. Thanks for the tip....

Back