My 22 wsm mods... Check it out!

For those that installed casters thru the bottom of the legs on your smokers, any tips on centering the holes in the legs before drilling? I'll probably do this in my garage that isn't quite level.

I did all three of my smokers the same way. I took the base with the legs installed as its assembled and sat it on a concrete floor. I just turned the smoker base lightly a few times causing scratches on the bottom of the legs at the curve in a straight line. I then flipped the smoker over on a padded surface, marked the center of the scratch line and drilled the holes for the casters. It worked and has centered the wheels where they needed to sit on the legs on all three of them.

I did all three of my smokers the same way. I took the base with the legs installed as its assembled and sat it on a concrete floor. I just turned the smoker base lightly a few times causing scratches on the bottom of the legs at the curve in a straight line. I then flipped the smoker over on a padded surface, marked the center of the scratch line and drilled the holes for the casters. It worked and has centered the wheels where they needed to sit on the legs on all three of them.

Great idea!:wsm: Thanks Mike!

I would like yo know what you used to plug the vent holes and where you got them. Thanks

These, though you can find them at HD or Lowe's. They're in the hardware section, inside those giant sets of drawers with the random BS items (washers, nuts, bolts, etc). 3/4" is the correct size for the 22 WSM.

I used 4" locking... Home Depot didnt have 4" so I ordered them... I went with 4" so if I had to roll it over the lawn I had the wheel height and also imo the 4" looked proper for the size of the 22wsm... Just my opinion...

Leo,
Was it difficult to drill the holes in the legs of your WSM? I looked at it once and thought that they would be off (angled) a bit - so I built a wood platform with wheels (which takes up room).

The caster wheels are probably #2 on my to do list!!!

Anyone have info on the wheels or write up? Should be pretty straight forward, just want to be sure.

Also, why do some add an additional charcoal grate? Don't you want the ash to fall to the bowl?

Last edited:
Do the plugs make much of difference in air flow control compared to just leaving the vents closed?

Eric, I only use the plugs on the vent that my DigiQ is hooked up to. They work well and look neat (compared to that metal tape that comes with the DigiQ). Personally, I would not use the plugs in the other vent holes, as you may decide to use those vents sometime in the future and removing the plugs would be a hassle. If you never plan to use those other vents, the plugs would look great though.

I bought 2 plugs to plug up my vent I use my party Q. I ordered them from home depot so picking them up at the store tonight. I went with the 3/4 nickel plated steel. I hope the 3/4 size fits the 18.5 as well!

I bought 2 plugs to plug up my vent I use my party Q. I ordered them from home depot so picking them up at the store tonight. I went with the 3/4 nickel plated steel. I hope the 3/4 size fits the 18.5 as well!

Sooooo.......I'm guessing you likely discovered that they are in fact NOT compatible with the 18" model? I'm pretty sure I had 1/2" plugs when i had the 18. Regardless, they're pretty dang cheap anyway.

Sooooo.......I'm guessing you likely discovered that they are in fact NOT compatible with the 18" model? I'm pretty sure I had 1/2" plugs when i had the 18. Regardless, they're pretty dang cheap anyway.

So I go to my local Home Depot and they only have zinc plated plugs... I have always heard do not use zinc or galvanized metal in a cooker. Always use stainless steel or nickel. The guy at dept says try online. So I find nickle plated steel 3/4 hole plugs and order them online. I had them shipped to store for free, I go pick up and they are zinc plugs.... I tell the nice lady at customer service this is not what I ordered. She calls someone over from hardware and he tells me that zinc and nickle are the same. My order specifically says nickel plated but mistakes happen.
I have the nice lady do a return while I talk to the hardware associate. It was not a yelling match by any means but he insisted that zinc and nickel were the same metals... I said they may look they same but they are different. You cannot argue with someone who is unwilling to listen so I quit but I threw out there "did you take a science class in high school? Zinc and nickel are different, look at the periodic table" haha

Soooo I am back to square one. I need to try a lowes or something.

So I go to my local Home Depot and they only have zinc plated plugs... I have always heard do not use zinc or galvanized metal in a cooker. Always use stainless steel or nickel. The guy at dept says try online. So I find nickle plated steel 3/4 hole plugs and order them online. I had them shipped to store for free, I go pick up and they are zinc plugs.... I tell the nice lady at customer service this is not what I ordered. She calls someone over from hardware and he tells me that zinc and nickle are the same. My order specifically says nickel plated but mistakes happen.
I have the nice lady do a return while I talk to the hardware associate. It was not a yelling match by any means but he insisted that zinc and nickel were the same metals... I said they may look they same but they are different. You cannot argue with someone who is unwilling to listen so I quit but I threw out there "did you take a science class in high school? Zinc and nickel are different, look at the periodic table" haha

Soooo I am back to square one. I need to try a lowes or something.

Aren't the hangers on the wsm zinc plated?

Tommy, did the plugs at HD cost about $1.70 +/-?
If they did, those are the ones I used and they work fine and look good too.

Leo
so you want to mount your digi Q a bit farther away from the smoker barrel because of heat?
Do you have a vise? If so unscrew your mount put in vise about 3/8 inch from your mount holes bend plate 90 degress vertical. Then mark a straight line the distance you want away from smoker surface one inch. Put back in th vise and now bend it 90 degress the opposite direction. Re .mount

Leo
so you want to mount your digi Q a bit farther away from the smoker barrel because of heat?
Do you have a vise? If so unscrew your mount put in vise about 3/8 inch from your mount holes bend plate 90 degress vertical. Then mark a straight line the distance you want away from smoker surface one inch. Put back in th vise and now bend it 90 degress the opposite direction. to make a Z type looking bracket then remount.

Mac: I am unsure if hangers are zinc plated or not but would assume they are not. Heard for years zinc heated up could cause dangerous fumes. I think realistically it wouldn't hurt unless heated much higher then a BBQ but I am not taking that chance.

Roger: They cost something around that. I ordered "nickel plated" and the bag they came in said zinc. I returned them.

Tommy, I can't remember what mine said, might be nickel, certainly wasn't Stainless. That said, the vent doesn't get all that hot really. I doubt it would be a problem. Try another HD store. I got mine on the spot - in those large drawers they sell individual pieces from... nuts, bolts, washers, lock washers, etc.

Back