My 22 wsm mods... Check it out!

I used 4" locking... Home Depot didnt have 4" so I ordered them... I went with 4" so if I had to roll it over the lawn I had the wheel height and also imo the 4" looked proper for the size of the 22wsm... Just my opinion...

Last edited:
I used 4" locking... Home Depot didnt have 4" so I ordered them... I went with 4" so if I had to roll it over the lawn I had the wheel height and also imo the 4" looked proper for the size of the 22wsm... Just my opinion...

Makes sense..I only roll on a concrete pad so it worked out well in my situation with no lawn involved :) I only roll it around a 6' area from side pad to main patio and opted more for the needed weight bearing when looking at the sizes. Otherwise its kept stored in my shed the rest of the time. Do be careful rolling it though as the center section will want to pop out of the base and goes sideways if not in smooth area.

Thanks, guys. I've thought about putting wheels on before, but for some reason just haven't yet. Guess it's because most of the time I just fire up my cookers about where they sit right next to the house.

It looks like from your link, you were using 3/4" plugs. The link no longer takes you to the product because Home Depot apparently no longer carries this size. I checked with my local HD last night. I just wanted to confirm you were using 3/4" plugs for the vent holes.

They are the 3/4" plugs and its same size on the 18 or 22 versions. I have a bunch here at the house. PM me if interested or see my other link if you need some..

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50674-3-4-quot-hole-plugs-for-lower-vents-for-ATC-use

Looks great. I suggest a second set of handles on the coal basket so that you have one at 12 - 3 - 6 - 9 o'clock positions. That allows you to set the top cooking grate on the handles and do a direct grill.

The vent plugs look cool, but does that mean you cook with your ATC all the time? I only use my IQ120 for long cooks.

I am still thinking about the lid hinge. I want to give it some time and have people come back and say whether they would do it again or not. Just seems like a lot of stress to a small area of the barrel.

Leo- I love the handles on the charcoal grate. What are the handles made out of? I want to pick up a set but do not know what they are called. Thanks

I put casters on my 22.5 WSM and I love the way they permit me to move the smoker to the advantage of (or avoid) wind and move it under cover of my patio in the event of rain. Best mod I've done, aside from adding the Cajun Bandit Door and handle. I'm new to the WSM (moved up from an old and well-used NB Black Diamond off-set smoker when rust started creeping up the legs). Haven't fired up the WSM but plan to do so this weekend.

I have a question on the vent plugs. You posted that you used the 3/4 inch plugs form Depot. I bought both the 3/4 and 1/2 pugs from there and both were too big to fit. My question is how much force did you use to get them in? Do they simply pop in or do you hammer then or something? Thanks

I have a question on the vent plugs. You posted that you used the 3/4 inch plugs form Depot. I bought both the 3/4 and 1/2 pugs from there and both were too big to fit. My question is how much force did you use to get them in? Do they simply pop in or do you hammer then or something? Thanks

Hi

I purchased these for my WSM: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-Four-3-4-Metal-Hole-Plugs-Nickel-Plated-SP-750-NKX4-/261060454053 they just slid in and fit snugly, no force needed at all. They're easy to get out if necessary too.

Gary

For those that installed casters thru the bottom of the legs on your smokers, any tips on centering the holes in the legs before drilling? I'll probably do this in my garage that isn't quite level.

Back