My 22.5 WSM Gets Here Next Week

M Glaser

Recently made my first smoker purchase early this week when I ordered a WSM 22.5.

I live in Venice, CA, but I'm originally from Kansas City so I know through Oklahoma Joe's, Authur Bryants, Gates and others what REAL BBQ should taste like.

Now that I live in SoCal I'm sick of walking into BBQ places out here and paying for overpriced mediocre BBQ. Which is exactly why I bought my WSM. My goal is to be smoking contest worthy KC style BBQ by the time football season starts.

I'm planning on cooking a pork butt and two baby back slabs for my inaugural smoke next weekend.

This is what I've purchased:

- WSM 22.5
- Maverick Industries ET-73 Wireless Thermometer
- Weber Chimney Starter
- Stone Slab- smoker will sit on stone
- Books:
- 1. Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue
- 2. Slow Fire: The Beginner's Guide to Lip-Smacking Barbecue

What I know I need:
- Billy Bar/grill cleaner/scraper
- Poker
- Heavy silicone gloves
- Meat injector
- Spray Bottles/Mops
- Kitchen supplies:Sheet pans, tongs, freezer bags, latex gloves, knives, aluminum pans.

Now my main worry, as for most noobs like myself, is maintain the right temp for the 10-14hrs or more that I'll need. I'm NOT going to spend the money of a fan system just yet.

For you veterans what simple, often overlooked mistakes can you see me making popping my WSM's cherry?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to being a contributor here!

Consider using the Minion Method (MM) for starting your fire. It's a slow way to start the fire, so one can control the heat on the way up.

Consider not using any water in you water pan. My 18wsm has never seen it. Others here swear by it. I've done 12+ hrs on one load with plenty of burn time over. With water you'll likely have to reload fuel.

Consider using foil. It makes cooks go faster but harms the "bark". I don't use because I don't want extra complication - ok, I'm lazy.

Consider your timing. The BB will probably take 3-4 hrs depending on cook temp and size. The butt will take around 10+ hr if it's 10+ lbs. When do you want things done? What do you do if things are done early, late? How to tell if the thing is done?

Welcome to the club!

Originally posted by Paul Lai:
Consider using the Minion Method (MM) for starting your fire. It's a slow way to start the fire, so one can control the heat on the way up.

Consider not using any water in you water pan. My 18wsm has never seen it. Others here swear by it. I've done 12+ hrs on one load with plenty of burn time over. With water you'll likely have to reload fuel.

Consider using foil. It makes cooks go faster but harms the "bark". I don't use because I don't want extra complication - ok, I'm lazy.

Consider your timing. The BB will probably take 3-4 hrs depending on cook temp and size. The butt will take around 10+ hr if it's 10+ lbs. When do you want things done? What do you do if things are done early, late? How to tell if the thing is done?

Welcome to the club!

Thanks for the reply Paul.

I've read up on the Minion Method and I'm hoping to load my 22.5 up and go the full burn without adding fuel.

I'm not sure about the water pan. I've heard it's better to put sand in the water pant to help the WSM maintain it's temp.

I didn't buy this thing to cut any corners so I won't be using foil for the exception of my ribs for the last part of cooking.

WRT water pan many use just a couple of layers of foil over an empty pan (my pref). The temps will fluctuate more than using a heat sink (sand, terra cotta, water) but will use less fuel. Make sure there's a indention in the foil for the grease to collect. After the cook, just wait for everything to cool off and remove top layer of foil with the grease. Makes for a easy clean up. Also temp fluctuations don't seem to bother me.

Put heavy duty (Reynolds) foil on your supply list if not already there. HTH

One thing I've learned that makes my cooks less work is to shoot for a temperature range and not a specific temp. Chasing a specific cooker temp will drive you nuts.

I use the Minion Method and I only use 15 to 20 lit coals but you may need more with the big boy.

I did a lot of searches on here, read a lot, and asked questions. You're starting off the right way.

If you start running hot don't be afraid to close all the lower vents and close the upper to 50%. As a last ditch effort I have closed the top vent all the way down to stop a runaway and the meat taste didn't suffer. With practice you'll get a feel for how your WSM responds.

I plan to finish the pork butt a couple of hours before dinner and let it rest, double foiled, in a cooler filled with towels. Pork butt will be fine if rested for longer than that.

Enjoy your cook.

Back