My 1st Smoke Filled Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My name is George Higgins and I wanted to update you on my guestbook post from last week. Thanks Jim for the welcome.

Last Friday I was able to locate a WSM 2820 close to home. It was the last one in stock so I made no bones about getting to the establishment to purchase it. $179 wasn't bad considering I didn't have to the pay shipping for mailorder.

On Saturday I beat the alarm clock to rise and headed to the patio to put the WSM to work. I added a New Braunfels dial gauge to the lid no problem with the great instructions provided by Chris.

Fired up a chimney full of Natures Own lump and used Method #1 for my 1st cook. Once the coals were good and going with a lid temp of 260, I added 4 chunks of black walnut smoke wood to the fire. (I would have used apple but the dealer had no apple or cherry wood.) Waiting about 5 minutes I then added 3 rolled racks of back ribs I had rubbed over night to the top grate.

The rest pretty much went along the lines of Chris's baby back process . I was amazed at how well, even while new, the WSM held it's temp. After a little over 4 hours, I took the ribs off and sauced with some Bullseye I had in the fridge.

Wow! Did I do this? Another newbie with a success story with the WSM. The wife was very pleased.

Cook 2 Sunday:

Two Purdue chickens went center stage butterflied , marinaded in italian dressing, and hit with some BRITU rub, and smoked with elderberry. Let me tell you, I never seen a bird with a prettier color than them two. A nice dark mahogony and very tasty. The breasts were slightly dry but that's because I was doing taxes and was to deaf to hear the Polder calling me from the other side of the house. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Breasts were 188 deg when I took the birds off.

This weekend I'll make ammends for the chicken.

In closing, great product, and an even better support mechanism here at the VWB.

Now onto cooks 3, 4, & 5 this weekend! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

George

Hi Jim,

I liked it but with my limited smoking experience, it is really hard for me to describe. I did some searching on deja of a.f.b and found some varied information on black walnut. Looks like it is not used much but it worked out nice for my 1st batch of ribs on the WSM. It would be nice to hear if others have experience with it.

I'm hoping to get to Cumberland, RI tomorrow to pay a visit to People's Woods. Only 1:30 from my house.

George in MA

Hi George,
We have alot of Black Walnut trees around this area, but I haven't found any of the wood available or any trees cut down yet. From what I have heard...Black Walnut is pretty good but very strong. Can easily overpower your meat, so many people use just a little mixed with a milder wood.

George,
I thought I smelled smoke, coming from the east, last weekend.
Sounds like the cook went very well. The Nature's Own, is very good lump, and it sounds like you have fire control well in hand. I tried the Black Walnut last year. I picked up some pellets from BBQ'er's Delight click me
I was almost overtaken, with how strong it was smelling and removed the pellets from the cooker. I was doing chicken, and I felt it was going to overpower it. So all in all, I never did taste a final product, smoked with Black Walnut. Rocky's right, if I was going to use it again, mix with mild wood and do pork or beef, but not chicken.

Jim

Jim and Rocky,

The black walnut did not seem to overpower the ribs. My wife detests mesquite and she enjoyed the bw.

Gotta run to take some chicken out of brine. Today is prep day for me.

George in MA

George,
I really don't think using a few chunks of Black Walnut in your WSM will make the taste of your meat too strong. I guess I was thinking along the lines of using Black Walnut in an offset pit as the only wood.

You are right though...just a few chunks on your coals shouldn't hurt anything.

Did you test the thermometer before you installed it? The New Braufels thermomters tend to be inaccurate. I went through 3 or 4 before I found one that worked. Too many trips to WalMart before I had one that wasn't off by 20 or 30 degrees. The Brinkman is similar, seems to be more accurate and was a bit cheaper at WalMart.

Bill

GwB,

No I have not tested the NB thermometer but I did use a Polder for the chicken. Thanks for the reminder. I would test it now but I've got a chicken and rack of ribs on for tonights dinner.

I'll check it over the weekend after my NFL Draft Cook tomorrow.

That will be a seperate topic I'll add later. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

George in MA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back