mustard slather?

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
hey guys, hope everyone's new years cooks were a success. I am still really getting the hang of smoking everything, only done 2 butts, ribs a few times, and some chickens. I am going to do another butt, and I am curious about mustard slathers. Do you guys just brush the butt with plain yellow mustard and then cover with dry rub? Does this help seal moisture in or dry the meat out? Also, i am cooking at 6000 ft, and for some reason the wind ALWAYS blows at my house. I bought a water heater blanket to try to help with heat retention. If there is a prevailing wind, which vents should i keep open? only the downwind ones? thanks guys

Smoke on

Hunter,

As for the mustard; yup, that's about it. Here's some good coverage on the topic.

You're right on with the wind issue. Did you ever blow on a fire to get it going? The same things happening with your WSM.

Hunter
A mustard slather only going to hold rub on, a very light coating and apply rub. Moisture is about cooking technique and finish temps.
Use down wind vents to control pit temp is the way to go.
Jim

Dear Jim's

gotcha on the mustard slather. with regards to moisture, my only other butt cook was highly uncontrolled beccause i had my buddy's wife oversee things for a good part of the day. From reading threads, it sounds like 225-250 is ideal pit temp for the cook? Also, i think last time i pulled the butts off at around 175 and they were not as moist as i would have hoped. Is this because they got cooked too cool and the juices didnt get sealed in? Also, even at 6k ft elevation, 185-190 is my target internal temp right? Thanks a bunch guys

Hunter

Hunter-

No matter what you do (and no matter what you read, see on TV, or catch on the Net) nothing you do will 'seal in' juices. Mustard, as Jim notes, acts as a binder for the rub. You can use it, or not, as you wish. (I do not.)

175 is a low temp for butt if you are looking to pull it for pulled pork and that is likely the reason you found it not moist enough. (I usually brine pork I want to pull in the 170s for slicing.) I like 190 for pulled pork, some prefer higher, but I would recommend 190 (and not lower) for you--to see if you like that finish. Maybe the cook thereafter go to 195 or 200 and see what you think of that finish temp. Though elevation might prolong your cook it has no bearing on finish temps.

Hunter-

You got it, 225-250 will work well for butts. I take mine to 195 or 200 internal temp if I can wait that long as that's what seems to work best for me. You really want to let all that fat and collagen break down (that's what makes you plateau around 170 or so) for the moist "mouth feel" of good pulled pork. I can't see any reason whatsoever that altitude would have any affect on your target finishing temperature.

If you need to lots of folks have built three-sided wind screens for their WSMs out of plywood (just hinge three sections together.) I'm fortunate to have room in a fenced off side area of my house that I can move to and cook in when it's windy.

Best of luck, and have fun eating all the experiments!
icon_wink.gif

Rich

The moisture in butt is fromthe connective tissue that gets broken down. At aprox you have a large amount is broken and the moisture is released (the reason for the stall). Once the connective starts breaking down it continues until you take it off the cooker. You can take it too far, I'm with Kevin, 190 is a target temp for pulled pork for me.

If the temp you had pulled the butt even 5 to 10 degrees higher you would have gotten a more moist product, it would not have pulled well but slices should have been moist.

Butts can take higher pit temps than 250 but 225 to 250 is a good target.
Jim

Hunter,

I really like using Mustard as a slather on my butts. I make a thin paste with rub and a little vinegar, and soak up to overnight. Then I put a really good coating of rub on before putting on the cooker.

In my opinion, it does a lot more with the bark than the meat itself. It gives a nice texture and sweetness to the bark I find enjoyable.

Hope this helps.

I like to make my slather out of mustard and pickle juice. I own two restaurants so it make it easy when you are buying pickles in big 20 litre pales. Sometimes I add a bit of worchester (sp?) to the slather. Yum, yum.

Hunter,

I'll also chime in with something I learned this weekend. Keep the door facing the wind direction. I had mine facing perpendicular to the wind (not thinking about it) and had temp spikes and it chewed up more fuel than any previous smoke.

Back