Mustard, Bread and Toppings for Mr. Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackomo

Hi Guys,

I have never had the pleasure of having pulled pork sandwiches, so I wanted to pick your brains as to what kind of bread, and toppings might go well with the Mr. Brown I hope to make this week-end?

I love to try new things, so any suggestions are welcome!

A plain old white hamburger bun is the most traditional bread. Typical toppings include coleslaw, pickle slices, or your favorite BBQ sauce. If it's really good pulled pork, sometimes it's good just by itself on a bun.

I almost always put my pulled pork
on hamburger buns with so sauce or
anything added at all. Sometimes
I'll just put it on a plate right
after pulling and eat it straight up.
Personally, I don't like to mess
with the smoked pork flavor as is.
When I cook for other people, I usually
make some BBQ sauce available.

Ah, the power of ritual!

I toss the pork with a little of my favorite sauce (from a local joint), plop a pile of it on a cheap hamburger bun (39 cents for an eight pack from Aldi's), scoop on some vinegar-based cole slow, drop on the top of the bun and smash it down to where I can get it in my mouth. Then I eat, enjoy, and repeat the sequence as many times as necessary.

This ritual has brought MANY hours of enjoyment.

I recommend serving them the traditional way first. Before I bought my WSM and found this website, I have never heard of or eaten pulled pork. Neither had most of our friends and family. Since then they are all converts. We serve it on white hamburger buns, spoon a little vinegar based sauce on top (I prefer Carolina Red), top with coleslaw and the other bun. Believe me, putting coleslaw on the bun seemed a little weird at first, but it really makes the sandwich.

I've had it the way the other folks have mentioned, and yes- -it is very good. However, for variety- -here's another option:

Put a mound of the pork on a plate. Get a stack of Sunbeam white bread. put your favorite sauce on the meat (not too much). my favorite is a mustard based, spicy sauce from a place (Henry's Smokehouse) in Greenville, SC. Then put some pickles on the side of the plate. Optionally, you can make up a tasty little salt topping which is mainly for fries, but is good in small quantities on the meat. I don't know the ratio, as I pick some up with the sauce at the restuarant- -but the main ingredients are table salt, garlic salt and pepper.

Anyway. Get a bite of sauced pork, and a pickle, and eat shove in a bite of bread. Ummm good.

While you are at it. Find a recipe for some good skin on french fries, and baked beans (tried Chris' recipe on this site and it is AWESOME).

Then, IMHO, you have the best way to eat pulled pork. It is actually my standard order at all BBQ restuarants the first time, as a sort of benchmark to compare all others.

When I cooked my first MR Brown, 2 weeks ago" I had 4 sauces on the side. Tried them all, and all were good. I even like it without bread or sauce. But the thing I did was after I pulled the pork, I added a sweet finishing sauce and mixed it in the entire batch. Not too much, just enough to get a hint of sweet flavor. By the time I got it just perfect ,I was full.lol
DP

Wow, never had a pulled pork sandwich. The mind boggles.

But I guess most folks on this board have never experienced the glory that is poutine, either, eh?

And for a truly Canadian twist on the traditional pulled pork sandwich, you could use a little poutine gravy (not too much, though) and some cheese curds.

Dale,
What were the four sauces you tried on the side? Which did you like best?

I hadn't imagined having coleslaw on pork! Do you use creamy coleslaw, or the vineger kind?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hadn't imagined having coleslaw on pork! Do you use creamy coleslaw, or the vineger kind? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>We use a homemade KFC knockoff. So, I guess creamy.

Love those pulled pork sandwiches. I thought the cole slaw on top was a weird idea until I tried it. I like an East North Carolina vinegar sauce and the creamy cole slaw to smooth the vinegar bite just a bit. IMHO the vinegar slaw and vinegar sauce is just too much vinegar, but it's BBQ - it's ALL good!

After you've tried everything else, try this:

Melt butter in nonstick pan, add garlic salt, open bun and place face down in pan and toast till brown. Add pulled pork and eat. No mustard, no mayo, no slaw no nuthin'. Just bread and meat! Best when bun is HOT out of the pan!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back