multiple cooks on 22.5 wsm question(s).

Jo Torez

TVWBB Super Fan
Forgive me im a newbie on this forum and also a newbie with the 22.5 smoker. I got the unit a few months ago and so far i can do pork butts and ribs with confidence. We are having people over on Sunday (im doing a pork picnic shoulder the day before for insurance) and i would like to know.....

can you give me some examples of how you cook 2 or 3 different items at the same time on the wsm with approximations on cooking times? I'd like to avoid the brisket because im still too new with the smoking. All of you make it look so easy. thank you in advance!

The secret is backwards planning. Start with your serve time and back up 6 hrs for ribs on the cooker time, back up for rib prep, back up for butt on the cooker time, back up for butt prep/cooker prep, etc. Don't forget to factor in rest times as well. Have fun!

Ditto what Dwain said...
You will be fine.. In case you get stuck or have more question post it in new WSM owners and someone will help.

A couple weekends ago I did a 6lb brisket flat and a 5lb Boston Butt. I put them on at the same time and they finished within an hour and half of each other. I was planning for a 5:30pm dinner. I fired up the smoker and had it preheated and ready for the meat to go in at 5:40am (by the way this is how I know I'm addicted to barbecue, under normal circumstances I would never get up this early on Saturday). The boston butt came off at 2:40pm and the brisket was done at 4pm. I foiled them and held them in a cooler until I was ready to serve. If you are going to be firing it up for a long cook and if you have room it wouldn't hurt to try a brisket flat, if it turns out then you have one more meat to serve, if not you'll have some good chili later.

These folks will give you great advice but most important to me is to let the smoker do its thing. make small adjustments and give them time to take affect.

Last weekend I put Dwains beans in a few hours before the butts were expected to be done. After I took the butts off and wrapped them in the cooler I removed water pan and put on the cornell chicken and the ABT. All was served hot together. For sure is a timing thing. Give your guest a wide window as said above you just have to let the WSM do it's thing....

A couple weekends ago I did a 6lb brisket flat and a 5lb Boston Butt. I put them on at the same time and they finished within an hour and half of each other. I was planning for a 5:30pm dinner. I fired up the smoker and had it preheated and ready for the meat to go in at 5:40am (by the way this is how I know I'm addicted to barbecue, under normal circumstances I would never get up this early on Saturday). The boston butt came off at 2:40pm and the brisket was done at 4pm. I foiled them and held them in a cooler until I was ready to serve. If you are going to be firing it up for a long cook and if you have room it wouldn't hurt to try a brisket flat, if it turns out then you have one more meat to serve, if not you'll have some good chili later.

Thank you so much. chili...i never thought of that if the brisket doesnt come out well.

Last weekend I put Dwains beans in a few hours before the butts were expected to be done. After I took the butts off and wrapped them in the cooler I removed water pan and put on the cornell chicken and the ABT. All was served hot together. For sure is a timing thing. Give your guest a wide window as said above you just have to let the WSM do it's thing....

thank you, i definitely have to try that!

Back