Multi-Meat Smoke Tomorrow, Thoughts?

Derek Yoder

TVWBB Fan
I'm going to be smoking a couple beer can chickens and 1 or 2 Pork Butts on a WSM. Is it recomended that I put the Chickens on the top or bottom grate? I wonder about this because of the drippings from the chicken on the Pork. However, I also know that the chicken will be done in half the time, so it would be easier if I put them on the top rack. Any thoughts?

There's not really any food safety concerns of cooking your chickens over the pork butts since the pork butts go to such a high temperature.

Some people would say you should cook the butts on top in order to baste your chickens with pork fat drippings. Having the chicken on top would be much easier, however.

I agree with Dave. As long as everything is cooked to a safe temp, I would put the birds on top for convenience.

Will they be consumed at the same time? If so, let your butt finish, then add a little charcoal and cook the birds at about 350. They'll be done in two or so hours (give or take) and you can rest the butt in a cooler while the birds cook.

If not, I agree w/ the others. Put 'em on top.

I agree with Jim. That way you don't have to open the cooker until the butt is done. The butt will stay hot in the cooler for hours.

Yep - chickens on top for me. Since they come off first. Otherwise it's just preference about what drips on what
icon_smile.gif

Back