Mr. Marco {long}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Provance

TVWBB Super Fan
Was very pleased with my WSM. Did 2 6 lb. butts. 1 with mustard, 1 with just a rub. Used John Henry's pecan rub on both of them. Won't do the mustard thing again. Personally, I Liked the one without the mustard better, and some people who know a lot more about these things then I do here on the Forum told me they don't fool with it either. so I got it out of my system and probably won' do it again. Both were good though. Had been warned here on the Forum that the J.H. rub had a high sugar content and might burn. {It was sweet} Didn't happen. Totally sold on the WSM and the Minion Method. Took a 2 hr nap. Know the temp did'nt spike because the rub never burned. Good stuff. All gone. My 22 year old son brought 2 of his rooms over. All 3 ex o-line men. What little was left, they took home. Wanted to go with them cause I figured they were gonna have nmore fun then me, but wife wouldn't let me. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Mike
Thanks....just a couple of questions.
How long did it take to cook two 6 lb. butts?
And at what temp. did you pull it off?

Did you use foil?

Peter

Peter, Started with 2 barely 6 pounders Tyson brand. Got em at Wally World 0.99 a lb. They were enhanced. Started not to buy them, but had already been to the HEB and Albertsons. Were 1.50 plus there so went ahead and got the enhanced. To my knowledge it was the first time I ever got enhanced, but till I started reading The Forum, I never bothered to look for such things, so I don't know. Got a cheap temp guage from Home Depot which I mounted between top air vent and handle(Forum Idea) Had a "better" guage S. Okie/N.Braunfels variety but according to the boil test(Forum Idea) the cheap one was more accurate so I chunked "the better" one in the trash. First cook and I had not cured the pit. Figured there was probably 15 degree diff between the top grate and the guage amd the new WSM might burn hotter(Forum Idea) so I tried to shoot for 220 at my guage. Put em both on the top grate at 0430. Used Minion Method. Left them alone till 0930. Sprayed them with Apple Juice and flipped them. Took a nap. Got up at 1130, sprayed them with Apple juice and flipped em back. Could tell by the blade they were getting done. 1230 checked them and started to pull them. Sprayed them again. 1330 I could pull the blade out if I wanted to. They had a "collapsed" look to them. Took em inside. Wrapped them in foil/towels and put them in a Igloo till 1630. When I pulled them there was practically no fat, great bark, great flavor. Used no foil during cook for the first time in a long time. I love the WSM. I love The Minion Method. I love the Forum. Able to pull down great info here. Mr. Allingham has put all kinds of good stuff in this site, and the guys who really know what they are doing will help tou out. P.S. I am sure the "enhanced butts" probably shortened the cooking time. mike

Mike
OK...so your 6 pounders took 9 hours or about 1.5 hours per pound....a little less than I expected, but you said they were enhanced. I smoked two 8 lb butts last week that took almost 16 hours..about 2 hours per pound. With foil they were over 190 degrees when I finished.

Next time I'll try a smaller size that I can put on at 6 PM and plan to finish around 6 AM.

Thanks
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back