Mr Brown Mop and Late night cook HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was needing some help on making the mop. How long should i simmer the mop?

I got two pork shoulders 5lbs each and one brisket 9 lbs. These are going on late tonight.
Any suggestions, on when I should put these on for a 5PM eating time?
Thanks,
Scot

hiya Scott, those butts will take aprox 10 hrs plus at 240 and its hard to say with the brisket. is it a flat or whole ? the flat will cook a little quicker than the point . put the butts above the flat and don't forget you can wrap and put in a cooler for hours until the brisket is done. i line my cooler with cardboard to absorb the leakage. reg

The brisket is a whole. Got both of them sitting in the fridge right now just waiting to be thrown on the smoker!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
So whats the word on the simmering of the mop???
Am i trying to get it to thicken up some or what?
Thanks,
Scot

Hey Scott,
I usually heat mine on low to dissolve any salt or crystalized seasonings. After that, I just give it a good stir just before I mop the meat. It also helps to stir to keep any oil & vinegar mixed. If it starts getting too thick, just add a little more vinegar, fruit juice, beer, wine or whatever.

If you plan on using a spray bottle, you can't add much seasonings or oil...the nozzle will get clogged up.

Also, don't start mopping/basting too soon or it will wash off your dry rub/seasonings. Wait until about half-way through the cook, once a nice crust has started to form.

UPDATE:
Well, after a change of plans I put the brisket on last night at 12 and the shoulders on at 2. Flipped and basted them both at 6 AM this morning. Also poked at the coals a bit to get the temp up from its 206 at the grate. Went back to sleep and at 9 the temp again had dropped to 205 and the vents were wide open. I added some more fuel just now, and got the fire to around 250 and bringing it back down now. The meat looked gorgeous when i turned it, I can't wait to sink my teeth in to it!!!
I will post my results later tonight
Scot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back