Moving a Genesis Silver B

MikeAlt

TVWBB Member
Moving a genesis silver B, I am planning to take top lid off and lay grill on its side, is this
ok to do or should I remove cook box also. Using a small suv for the grill move.

I remove the grates, flav bars, bottom slide pan and the side table and the bottom rack.

I remove the lid hinge pins and put the clip back in the pin and put them in a zip lock bag so I don't lose them.

With the lid off and every thing out it's not that heavy. I lay the grill on its back and slide it in on a piece of cardboard. Be careful of the hinge mounts on the cookbox. They can dig into carpeting or trim.

A few towels to protect the lid and you should be set.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Dan said. A cardboard box or plastic bin is helpful for holding the flavorizer bars, grates, drip tray, etc
I have a "go" kit. A Costco cardboard box, big enough for grates, Flav bars and the bottom pan , a heavy duty garbage bag, gloves, pliers 7/16 ratcheting box, Phillips screwdriver, vice grips a tarp and some garage towels.

on ready 5 for the next bogie, I mean genny to show up on radar, I mean FBM or CL.

Whether I use my truck or the wife's SUV, the process is always the same. I remove the lid, turn it over on the grass or another soft surface, drop in a pig blanket, and just toss everything in the lid...grates, bars, grease pan, drip tray, side table, knobs, pins, clips, thermometer. The only thing that doesn't fit in there is the bottom tray. I then put another pig mat under the lid to keep the exterior finish from getting scratched while it's traveling upside down. The first blanket makes for a quieter ride with less rattling if the grill is inside the vehicle with you as would be the case with an SUV. I'm probably overly cautious with the use of a 2nd mat because the shroud end caps should prevent the enamel from contacting the truck bed or car mat in almost every case. A couple of old towels would accomplish the same thing.

Last edited:
Definitely remove the lid. I got a grill once at a place I wanted to get out of quickly. Left the lid on and broke an end cap🤨. At least it wasn’t the firebox, but it was still a stupid tax to pay.

Yah, what everyone above said....except for maybe Larry. o_O

Remove the lid and then remove everything else that isn't physically attached to the frame. My sister picks up grills for me where she lives and gets them in her Honda CRV that way.

I have a "go" kit. A Costco cardboard box, big enough for grates, Flav bars and the bottom pan , a heavy duty garbage bag, gloves, pliers 7/16 ratcheting box, Phillips screwdriver, vice grips a tarp and some garage towels.

on ready 5 for the next bogie, I mean genny to show up on radar, I mean FBM or CL.
My go kit is a huge tarp to cover everything in my Honda Pilot, Pliers, 7/16 ratchet w ext, phillips, flat head, paint scrapers and garbage bags

Just did that with a silver B yesterday afternoon. Picked it up for $20.00 to make a cart for my new to me Jumbo Joe. The 4runner handles it with ease. Top off, wire rack off, shelf off, grates, FBs in a black plastic garbage bag and straight into the trash.
Everything but the frame, shelf, and flip up gets tossed.

Yah, what everyone above said....except for maybe Larry. o_O

Remove the lid and then remove everything else that isn't physically attached to the frame. My sister picks up grills for me where she lives and gets them in her Honda CRV that way.
We all need a sister like yours...

If you have a truck, and want to just ratchet strap it in, I strap over the hood and remove the side table and if supplied the bottom shelf so they don't fly off during the trip. If you're strapped over the hood you can just remove everything that isn't bolted on and you'll be fine. Sometimes the grates bang around a little, but I've not suffered any damages that way.

exactly what ive done with the last 2 gennies that ive picked up. Make sure to also put some sort of protection on the bumper or opening of your SUV if you dont want it scratched or damaged.

You guys don't bring a hammer?
Sounds like a joke, but it isn't. Have you never dealt with frozen lid hinge pins? A small can of penetrating oil would be a good idea as well.
My large vice grips double as a small hammer.

I can fit a silver C sized grill on its back with the lid on if I can't get the pins out. I just tie the lid closed with some rope.

It's a lot easier with the lid off.

You guys don't bring a hammer?
Sounds like a joke, but it isn't. Have you never dealt with frozen lid hinge pins? A small can of penetrating oil would be a good idea as well.
I use a small wooden mallet. I call it my coaxing tool.

I have had grills that nothing short of several soaks in penetrating oil over a couple days and real "hammer" would get the pins out. But, yah, in general, pliers, a phillips and a 7/16" wrench are pretty much all you need to get a grill stripped down enough to get it in the back of an suv.

Back