Mountain pig the Arctic way

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
I got hold of some pieces of meat from "Mountain pigs".

These are quite normal Norwegian pigs, but with a small twist. At springtime, the two months old pigs are transported up into the mountains in Valdres, Norway, a 1000 meters above sea level.
There they live during the long summer days, outdoors, where they are free to eat berries, wild roots and other goodies they can find, as well as more traditional pig food.
I’m not sure how much of the taste is a result of this life, or if it is just a case of first class meat, but the taste is excellent! Very nice, and it is simple to get a tasty and juicy result. Now some pictures:
I wanted to use the rotisserie on a piece of ribs, but the shop was all out, so I bought a piece of shoulder instead.
Very simple, no curing, no rub, no marinade, no long list of spices, just black pepper and some salt.
Ready to go:

The sous vide cooker was in the basement, and since I have never made vegetables sous vide, it was about time to try. I have a PID from Canada, and a standard ice cooler. Works like a charm. Not very nice to look at, but I like that it looks a bit geeky. My only chance to play “mad Professor”, maybe. I actually like the fact that it will self destruct if used wrong.

Carrots, in plastic, with some Swedish lemon salt, a hint of cayenne and black pepper, as well as a tablespoon of butter.

I’m sure you all have seen a Weber charcoal grill before, so no pictures of the grill.
(I forgot the camera, and I’m still having problems walking, and did not feel like fetching it.)

It took about three hours before the shoulder was done, and the smell was fantastic on the cooking area. Looks like this after some carving. The smoke ring is only from the charcoal, I did not use any wood.

On the plate, with the carrots. I placed the carrots in a heated cup to keep them warm. I will cook the carrots at a higher temperature the next time. They were too raw for my taste. Potatoes, and some pickled mustard seeds I made a week ago made a complete meal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Thank you for looking, and your time.

Last edited:
Great post Geir. I appreciate hearing about the mountain pork -- it looks simply delicious! those pickled mustard seeds go with anything porky. ;)

Sir Geir, you can make anythingANYTHING look GREAT!
THIS ▼ looks SPECTACULAR!
dsc0657if.jpg

Haven't have Thuesborg in ages!

Jon Des- yes, the taste is fantastic. I think this is among the best pieces of pork I've ever eaten. The meat has a rich, full flavor, as well as beeing very juicy.
I often find it hard to judge the quality and taste of differnt pork cuts, and sometimes I get meat that has not so pleasant aftertaste, and the meat is much dryer than wanted. Not so with this meat.
I'ts only available for a short period in the autumn, so I'll have to wait for a whole year before I can feast on this again.

Edit- I popped by the meat counter today, and they are getting a new batch next weekend! Guess where you can find me right after work on friday!

Last edited:
Truth be told Geir, with your excellent cooking skills, I'm sure a valley pig would taste wonderful:)
So I'm sure the mountain pig was as outstanding as it looks!

I really like your approach of using salt and pepper only, don't want to mask any of the true pork flavor.

great cook! We all work so hard on our grilling skills, it's great to see one of us get a chance to use those skills on top quality meat. The mountain pig sounds perfectly awesome.

I assume your SV rig has some kind of heating element. I'm guessing it's a round thing that heats and bubbles?

I got to try some SV veggies. I have only had one moderately successful run with potatoes, but would like to try some other things. I hear beets work out well SV

Back