Mountain Pies made with Crescents

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
So my son's favorite cooking device is the mountain pie maker. One like this.
https://www.scheels.com/p/rome-indu...Mf4oeXCpTyWqsO7g_6yumSKAZhGJDO7BoCCE8QAvD_BwE
And a few years back when we were planning to make fruit pies my wife had the idea of trying to use store bought butter crescents instead of bread. They are amazing!!!

Ingredients:
Store bought full size butter crescents
Store bought fruit pie filling
Stick of softened butter

Directions:
Preheat the mountain pie maker in the hot coals or fire pit. (We used the left over coals from a kettle pizza cook tonight and made ten mountain pies no problem.)
Cut a pocket into the crescent for the filling.
Fill crescents with fruit filling
Butter both sides of the the crescent.
Place into preheated mountain pie make and place on top of the coals/fire or a few inches above.
Cook, flip, check, repeat, eat.

They are one of the best deserts I have ever made or eaten!!

I wonder if Nutella will work for the filling, or simply ooze out.
Maybe with a few mini marshmallows.

So here we go.
Start with the ingredients in the last post.
Take the store bought croissant (or if your name is Rich G make your own 😉) and give a good cut in the middle.
IMG_20201206_201405.jpgFill that middle with some pie filling. Or whatever goodness you guys think up. This one was apple. IMG_20201206_201432.jpg
Butter it. IMG_20201206_201440.jpg
Stick it in the mountain pie press and stick it over the fire. We used the bottom of the WSM 14 from our Rib cook and the iron worked really well in there. My photos outside didn't come out over the fire, but here is it done. You want them to be browned!!! IMG_20201206_201453.jpg
My photographer disappeared into mountain pie after that photo and I didn't get anymore. These were as good as I remembered. Thanks for push me to make them again, I haven't made them since my original post. You guys here can do so much, that the more homemade you want to make these would only make them better, but ever with the store bought ingredients they are truly fantastic!

Back