Mould

Peter G

TVWBB Member
Mold

Hi all,
I have a little problem with my beauty. Mold has been developed on it under the Glorious Montana cover. I've been using it for years and nothing similar has never happened.
This is the exterior.
r68o77nzu2vCyb1Meilk2b0pRTyDyiG41kFmSH-liFLEOf8L0KWoYF5VBQ9V4bbqwBYWN2inwyBemGisB4y7r7AHbYYIP8ZCfIA_vtWZbv-EY44y8QuXzm0TpSKtnzKI7ZdhpzYtWYypQsBldzA7t-_ZgMpY4muC-bDI0i1W33HDrPM8bDnH2Navjj8O4vCXujH9d7uO5xmAKm_FWhxEqUcOz1P4b42GMiKE2y8I7gglUtjmw9hsG1jP_DmOJzgoxyj45R-H_mir5L5HquaPJmh7jmCUlKRYmEuJ1ptpkWtPVmsNSLYUkx4_8urfB5XZAQurrPNuOp3Nb7ZKV42TdFlW3MG-dMP_jN4Ei_X8GKJMr8CXnkfG695nd5vIqOLWoDZL7fQE2Gjnvx6j36gsNSlH3DBhKUSUPnr-lBfmxBcAwkW_A-j2LEmvFD_S-cJukvK-ynYN5QEL3QMjN0IpnImh8sWBvUKrrcL9S6RalA5vvjMy5vCo0k2qMmJS-ZqKlkLcYTWAuGpaa1yF3N6fyUnuXjA9WDDjn7Nl-HuYHxTsV4_uLk0ZUdpQ5Q-3tI0ZA-aaRBi8vcN085dHfQ6jAH_QaK6NlL8dVeg6KnXF2LHS6p17=w851-h638-no

I also found white spots in the interior part but I thought they were grey ashes only. Are they mold, too?
5MyKIF-QCky6Nqn_jHhorkh5b73XlWTdZTuFr57ILm_zAmzOS96r5urOUI2Id5-fFlAmvuUHU5WnV8eagW9g7KleoH16D0DObPokMypaMEgt-hInCIPHym8lk1Q3lr_8g6i0NGtlrtEQQacBqHP8dY6qrrHdYWl0YnqWMBSEwUuf7ZXy4sZPm2w9UM15apFUz0K8ZzIfDYLW0pno52Oh6fYjN_wTeSW-U05pSqW8MLeYi18SCd5fbcTMBDbxcAQxRgqA3p-60-7LpZNZxTDcdTPv0V637wFxCxiYyRfvIz5o0fVQhdVmCV563YijIHUYNhJHwuUplRiBiP8lBTRuBGGfbWX75t7osLSFHRx_YMIDh-qkpa258cr36XGqgPvVXM63d_4HsfynL27AVLr9k2tQ0ZcgNuZceSih1Cg5MvnlQ3sgzh2GfFk1CGO6-axv3NOtwAB9LKy4jlUOXMxQgCZNJfY2RHmenbjLFLEDUWL7EIKscZ4eewIOeGfyxf1Wk_Qu4D02hgiCeqd1vh80MoT18RjKgpSpDTHDEfCVldIYQ4rYMEnD_viIPFSSSTLj9pDt6HFStUVl8oEArPZzb9CmAQtb5VNFSSHnNogAShJ7fMgP=w851-h638-no

8TuB7Rdgni4ZQfyP4hWKm-Pso8f2VNCgSACXA-auJo8ebsxLlRzqifLr-Gk1gcD_FTE2c0deghSME-hSsmo60W8JLvgE2EXf6cXqNY4h-ZzGoGs2_uVOGF_ayAqZoszUwD8KQWE5irc4-MwlnISWR44-4Mzz2H3QBe-NZ-7TU37aqOfTsOS6zXjS55sTaV4qM4JfHTiI4jARP2hKPE6OH8aMIXEq8ygakx-nBcrralGjh-P887GFYTqU5oqJTchVCjKgQ_GYYu3uI1JNWlHG21xM6_3J_NsF9lTVhF--cS9vFqZ7y4SddxrWYA5BSkulx-akl2jtSCcLhHxyAXWSxaJeSkJl_FeH9qN5vz6utQpYs0i7quzPOCwseytsXiQ2o6e2JI2TJWsnFoaKIZeH7AwNdMSvjC5qu26TpxiP2zsJ4p9aBxK5At8A2p8DyxPAgyoyE8iye06TvadXBfmOgjXwR1ZOo-zhTcRNOtqbXxbZCwM5ZN8FOQWdbONojy7vr1JGmqPox1IwME7FKUWlU5VcMFnEV_hmxmVrvHcBSAQNMnU3gC3j1v6E-eWAC6bcgX9lHhk-LsCW52KtGjd6FFoEVjzxqexvEgYs6dP-XHJpIl2U=w851-h638-no

What do you think? How should I remove and what should I do to prevent from rebuilding?
Thx

Last edited:
First don't panic it may not even be mold. In certain moisture conditions aluminum will develop those deposits. It's basically a type of "salt" the aluminum exudes. However even if it is mold no worries on the inside. Just crank the heat up to it. As for the outside wire brush and repaint either way. Though that will be mostly for cosmetic rather than sanitary purposes. I've seen this many times BTW. Whatever you do don't panic about it

That kind of certain conditions may happen nowadays :) First found that few days ago after heavy rains. I sprayed some mold killer onto the cover and removed the white spots with a putty knife. But it developed again.
Hope it is salt as you mentioned.
I also heated it up.
Shall I sandblast and paint?
Anyway thanks for the fast reply!

I don't know that sandblasting is necessary. Wire brush, degrease and repaint is fine. The reason I don't think it's mold is because I have only witnessed this take place on my grills made of cast aluminum and only on the aluminum. My stainless grill never even sitting on the same deck, covered the same way. I have also seen similar deposits on aluminum engine blocks and heads

Peter.
I cannot see the pics. But from what LM is describing, I'm sure it's the aluminium acting as an anode with the other metals, when water is present. This is perfectly normal. Basically the aluminium will perish leaving the other metals free from rust etc.
I use sacrificial anodes all the time at my work. Some of them turn to dust after extended periods submerged in seawater.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. Am I the only one who can see the pics? :)

Anyway, I agree with you this is not mold fortunately and this is getting back. When I restored the grill 2 years ago, I left the sides of the lid unpainted. Mistake...
I will sandblast the grease from the interior and paint the whole black. May I sandblast the lid? Won't it hurt the painting? 2 years ago I cleaned it with a putty knife but it lasted years...

Not sure what you mean by "the lid". If you mean the end caps well sandblast away. If you mean the actual hood no way. It is coated with porcelain (basically fused glass) and the coating will shatter. Simple green and fine steel wool, brillo, carefully applied oven cleaner all work fine. BTW do not put paint on the inside of the anything in the cook box

Peter, I can't see the pictures either. I agree with the others as it most likely isn't mold. I am in a very wet environment and my grill has been kept covered outside. Use a cleaner or very fine steel wool. If it's on the inside, crank it up on high heat to kill any spores. If it's on the outside, you can spray a disinfectant like Lysol on it after you clean it.

Yes, I meant hood by the lid. OK, the end caps can be sandblasted but the hood mustn't.
But didn't they paint the end caps both sides? How are/were the insides treated? I know they were black in the outside and black/dirty/greasy inside. I asked the man when sandblasted to sandblast the outside only but he made a mistake and did the inside partly...

Thank you Hilary, steel wool seems fine.
I heated it up several times, I will not care with the inside anymore...

It's hard to recall but I seem to recall when my grills were new the insides of the caps were NOT painted but than I am old and have CRS (can't remember stuff) disease LOL. As for the hood do not sand it, blast it or anything. It is porcelain so some oven cleaner or such cleans it right up. But frankly I am not that anal about the inside. I just keep things scraped out so I don't get grease flares. I see no need to have the inside pretty

Back