Mother's Day Brisket Disaster

John Horton

TVWBB Member
Started a Brisket last night and woke up this morning to find ash all over the brisket. We had a very windy night and it appears the wind blew in the vents on my WSM and circulated ash all over the inside. It also consumed a mega charge of charcoal started with the Binnion method in only 8 hrs so I know it's wind driven either by push through the bottom vents or pull through the top. Has this happened to any one else? If so did you do any mods or just make a wind break?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">make a wind break? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's all you really need.

If I was using Kingsford briqs or the like and the ash was heavy I'd give the brisket a wash then back in the smoker.

If I was using all natural hardwood lump I probably wouldn't worry about it unless the ash coat was really thick.

I'd think of it more as a setback than a disaster at this point. Worst case give it a wash then carry on.

I thought a little grit went into every BBQ!
icon_razz.gif
Seriously I would rinse it and toss it back on. Vince

I had a similar instance happen when I did ribs a few weeks ago. I hadn't used the WSM for a couple months (yeah, I know), fired it up for the ribs, and about 4 hrs into the cook I popped the lid to see that all the soot from the top of the lid had flaked off and become airborne. Needless to say, the ribs were covered in black specs.

At this point, it was already cooked into the meet as I tried to scrape some off, but to no avail. I ended up covering it with a bit of sauce, and never looked back
icon_smile.gif

Now I brush the lid and center section with a bristled brush now and again to make sure it won't happen again.

Regardless, I feel your pain.

Reminds me of the time I was taking a butt off of the WSM with a pair of heavy gloves and just as I was about to sit the butt in the middle of the foil sheets I had prepared, the butt slipped through my hands into a half full charcoal bag.

Quick brush off and all was well. I THINK I know what my face look like as I saw that butt disappear into the Kingsford bag. I am guessing it was pretty funny.

Pat

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:

At this point, it was already cooked into the meet as I tried to scrape some off, but to no avail. I ended up covering it with a bit of sauce, and never looked back
icon_smile.gif

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Quick brush off and all was well. I THINK I know what my face look like as I saw that butt disappear into the Kingsford bag. I am guessing it was pretty funny.

Pat </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good stories. Now thats BBQ. Anyone that does not have a story like that never has BBQ'd!! I think the lines above would be great signiture quotes! Thanks for sharing. Vince

Back