More Meatloafs w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I did two 7.5lb meatloafs on WSM today and they were fabulous. Click here for pics. One was my regular recipe (silver platter), the other was a new creation, Southwest Meatloaf. Southwest one has the red pepper in it, the regular has the BBQ sauce on top. Got to break in the new KitchenAid stand mixer too!

2/3 ring of briquettes, removed 30 and lit for Minion Method, empty water pan, 1 chunk apple, 2 small pieces mesquite. Vents full open for entire cook. Basted regular with BBQ sauce and Southwest meatloaf with Bryan S Chipotle Mayo at 155F and again at 165F. Finish Temp: 175F. Cook Time: 6 hours Peak temp: 265F Avg Temp: 235F - 240F

One thing I dislike about oven meatloaf is that it sits in it's drippings so on this WSM cook I used parchment paper underneath the loaves and it worked very well. It allows the drippings to run off, the loaf didn't wedge itself between the grate bars and it came off the grate with ease. One tip though, make sure it is cut back far enough from the edge so that drippings that run off will land in the water pan.

Curiously, the meatloaf on the top rack had smoke ring on the bottom as if the smoke penetrated the parchment paper but the meatloaf on the bottom rack did not.

Sliced the Southwest meatloaf like a pie, layed it down on a plate, sprinkled with grated cheese, served with:
lettuce, tomatoe, green & red pepper, green onions, picante sauce, sour cream, guacamole (note to self, buy advocados a few days in advance, these were not ripe enough) and tortilla chips.

The link to the pics didnt work for me, but it sure sounds good! I have been wanting to do a loaf on the WSM and I am so glad you told me about the parchment. I have not noticed that idea before. I guess I would have put a loaf pan in the WSM
icon_confused.gif
. "I know better now". Thanks man.

Rick

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for taking the time to post all the links. They are all great!! Man it sure looks good.

I made up some of that chipotle mayo , man is it good . I added a tblsp of honey and a 1/4 tps of Oldbay to mine. Down here in NC we like Dukes mayo, "maybe it needed the extra stuff".

Thanks ,
Rick

np Rick,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ... I added a tblsp of honey and a 1/4 tps of Oldbay ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> sounds interesting, can you describe what Old Bay is like?

Oldbay seasoning, for seafood, poultry, salads, and meats..Ingredients:celery salt, spices, including mustard seed, red pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice,pimento, ginger,mace,cardamon,cinnamon, and paprika Packed in usa by Mccormick & co inc

HUNT VALLY, MD 21031

"The above is found on their lable"

It has a good balance, reminds me some what of a "Paul Kirk "rub. Plenty of paprika for sure"nice color". Hope this was of some help to you.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick Pruitt:
icon_eek.gif
You dont have Oldbay up there? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> TVWB is the first place I have heard of it ... I don't recall seeing it grocery stores but it sounds tasty, I will have to have a look for it. Thanks Rick.

NOTE TO SELF (SLAP MYSELF FOR NOT MAKING MEATLOAF, AGAIN)! Shawn, they look AWESOME!!

Shawn,
Old Bay is wonderful stuff. It is great on seafood, chicken, bbq, it is especially good to put on top on potato salad instead of paprika as a garnish. It adds a wonderful spice to the PS. If you cannot find Old Bay in Canada, let me know and I will get a can of it and ship it to you. Just let me know. Maybe we could make a trade, a can of Old Bay in exchange for a big slab of that meatloaf!
icon_biggrin.gif

Shawn, Great job Buddy well done. Sorry i did not include a can of Old Bay in the gift box.
icon_frown.gif
I'll send some the next time. Really good stuff. It's 1/2 way there (winnipeg) Bryan

Wow Shawn...looks like the plan worked to perfection. I guess the time we anticipated was a little shy. 6hrs is my kind of cook anyway!

Thanks for the pictures! It looked AWESOME!!

Old Bay in my local stores isn't in the spice area. They have it in the seafood section of the store. If your store has a seafood section look there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:
Wow Shawn...looks like the plan worked to perfection. I guess the time we anticipated was a little shy. 6hrs is my kind of cook anyway!

Thanks for the pictures! It looked AWESOME!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> nah, the cook wasn't quite as hot as we talked about so it took longer ...
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, Larry .. thnxs ... make sure to try one, your gonna love it, I don't think I can go back to oven meatloaf now ... and Jeff T ... I'll see what I can do about Old Bay, thnx for the info

The smoke ring results are likely due to the difference in temperature between the two racks. The pics worked great for me. Right mouse click on a fingernail and it enlarges. I'll have to give the meat loaf a try. They looked great!

yeah Bob, I was thinking the bottom one being above an empty water pan which probably radiated a lot of heat made the meat go above 140F before a smoke ring could form ... this is likely true cuz the bottom one had a nice dark meat crust on the bottom and the top rack one did not ....

As for why the top got a smoke ring on the bottom at all, I wonder if smoke penetrated the parchment paper or that smoke bearing juices ran down inside or on the outside of the meat and travelled along the paper across the surface of the bottom ... or was it something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back