More competition for Thermoworks

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
It looks like Thermopro is not only trying to compete with Thermoworks on the ThermaPen, but it looks like they are moving in on the Thermoworks Smoke now.

Has anyone used one of these yet? I have the Smoke and really like it, but this sure looks like a viable competitor at about half price.

Pretty impressive, 1000 ft. range, three year warranty, four probes for $45.99. That's going to take a big bite out of Thermoworks Smoke.
If I didn't already have a Smoke I'd jump on the Thermopro.

Yah, I would jump too. But, I would not count on 1000 feet range. That is likely the very max range and with zero obstructions between the two units. But, it should cover most houses end to end. My Smoke remote cuts out occassionally for a second or two when I am at the other end of my house, but it always reconnects within a couple seconds. That is about 50-60 feet with three or four walls.

It looks like Thermopro is not only trying to compete with Thermoworks on the ThermaPen, but it looks like they are moving in on the Thermoworks Smoke now.

Has anyone used one of these yet? I have the Smoke and really like it, but this sure looks like a viable competitor at about half price.

FYI those are trash. My brother bought one thinking he was getting ThermoWorks (he's new to BBQ'ing) and the probe failed him after only 1 cook.

They're cheap Chinese knockoffs of better products. At least, that's my (his) experience.

I am very happy with my ThermoPro instant read thermometer. The Wireless thermometer carries a three year warranty:

Superior Warranty
Buy knowing our products are backed by our best in class 3 year warranty.

I have two probe RF versions of the Thermoworks Smoke and the ThermoPro.

Both function pretty much identical. Both cut out about a half block away from my house.

Thermoworks has a nicer build quality, but costs double.

I had the ThermoPro first. Only reason I got the Smoke was to get the Billows ATC fan. No fan capability with ThermoPro.

I have the two probe version. My only complaint is that the reading takes more than a few seconds, when probing meat for core temperature. I would not call it an instant read, and it is annoying enough that I want to get a pen that’s instant. Also, my probes failed a year in, but they sent me a new set free.

I've had a couple of Redi-Chek's by Maverick and a re-branded Ivation. Their probes failed in a very short time and the after-market probes weren't any better. I haven't had a single failure with the ThermoWorks probes and I use them with both the Smoke and the HeaterMeter.20210913_105143.jpg

Last edited:
Probes are a weak link on most remote thermometers. Even if the response time on the Thermopro isn't real fast, that wouldn't be an issue for me as I have one of their instant read fold out therms. I wouldn't want to be using the remote therm probes for instant read regardless as you would have to be using a glove. They really are not designed to use as instant read.

Speaking of dealing with a probe that doesn't work. Maybe buying one of these units as a back up to the Smoke would be your best backup solution. I might buy one and tell the wife it is for the oven in the house.

I have had the ThermoPro TP08S for over two years and I use that thing hard and it has done nothing but work perfectly for me. I keep wanting to upgrade to the smoke, but can't justify it. This new ThermoPro makes me think about it because of being a four probes vs. the two.

Yah and it comes with two grill grate clips so up to two can be used as grate temp probes and the other two as probes for monitoring the meat. Lots of versatility and options there.

I'm a gadget guy, sad to say. I use a Meater for rotisserie cooks and chicken. Steaks and burgers I just sit outside and enjoy the day...but then the wife comes out and starts telling me all the things that need to be done in the backyard and it ruins it for me.

It has the $25% discount code now. I just used it and pulled the trigger. $36.82 with tax and delivery. Hard not to do it. Now I have a backup.

Here is the link. The promo code is right on the web page, Just remember to enter it during your checkout.

If it came with a case for the whole thing, it would really be sweet. But Amazon sells several nice hard sided zip up cases for things just like this. I will wait and see the size of everything before I look into getting a case.

These thermometer threads really heat things up! I have the Thermoworks Smoke and like it very much. It works great most of the time. I had some issues the most recent cook, but overall like the quality. Still, ThermoPro is more than just a "cheap Chinese knockoff." I have two of their instant read thermometers and one single probe non WiFI simple grill side thermometer. All three are very nice products, and I wouldn't hesitate to go for this deal, especially for this special price. I already have a back-up which I would call a "knock-off." It worked fine the last time I used it, but that has been a while.

Anyway, ThermoPro has shown itself to have good customer service (ask Bruce), decent quality stuff (even Thermoworks items fail from time to time) and great prices. I think they are worthy of more respect than most of the other competitive no-name brands aiming for Thermoworks. Having said that, I will readily admit that Thermoworks is the high-end, top drawer source. Not everyone needs or can afford that for every situation.

It has the $25% discount code now. I just used it and pulled the trigger. $36.82 with tax and delivery. Hard not to do it. Now I have a backup.

Here is the link. The promo code is right on the web page, Just remember to enter it during your checkout.

If it came with a case for the whole thing, it would really be sweet. But Amazon sells several nice hard sided zip up cases for things just like this. I will wait and see the size of everything before I look into getting a case.
Having a backup is a good idea and I still have my maverick for a back up. That will improve the odds that the primary will never go south on you.

These thermometer threads really heat things up! I have the Thermoworks Smoke and like it very much. It works great most of the time. I had some issues the most recent cook, but overall like the quality. Still, ThermoPro is more than just a "cheap Chinese knockoff." I have two of their instant read thermometers and one single probe non WiFI simple grill side thermometer. All three are very nice products, and I wouldn't hesitate to go for this deal, especially for this special price. I already have a back-up which I would call a "knock-off." It worked fine the last time I used it, but that has been a while.

Anyway, ThermoPro has shown itself to have good customer service (ask Bruce), decent quality stuff (even Thermoworks items fail from time to time) and great prices. I think they are worthy of more respect than most of the other competitive no-name brands aiming for Thermoworks. Having said that, I will readily admit that Thermoworks is the high-end, top drawer source. Not everyone needs or can afford that for every situation.
I have two of the Thermoworks instant read, and I gave one to my daughter as a gift, but my go-to is the ThermoPro because the orange backlight is so easy to read and it has magnets on it so it sticks on the side of the reefer or the microwave rather than sitting in a drawer where I have to fish for it. I don't think you can beat ThermoPro for the value...I keep telling myself I need to break my dependence on cheap imports but the Chinese sure know how to make it hard to walk away, don't they?

Back