More bark without the bite?

Ok, had this thought this morning when I woke up (I think I am dreaming about Q regularly now...):

Why not take a butt, and cut it in half? Or in 1/3rds?

Rub each piece, then throw it on the WSM for low and slow...

Should take less time because it is less mass to heat.

But should result in more bark overall, without losing too much moisture, as it has so much connective tissue.

I had a bark piece on a butt I did last weekend and it was tremendous. So it got me to thinking....

I mean I wouldn't necessarily suggest cutting the butt into 1 or 2 inch pieces as they might not get tender before too dry, but shouldn't this work?

I have done a 4 lb butt and even as small as a 3 lb butt and they turned out just fine...

I am thinking of ways to maximize bark production.

But what am I missing? Thougths? Suggestions?

Is there a glaringly obvious reason that I overlooked that should make me realize this is retarded? (There have been several in the past...)

Thank you,

my only thought would be that the smaller butts would cook faster and therefore have less time to smoke and get a good bark. why not try it ?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't this considered country style ribs? Sliced up pork butts? Maybe not if they are only cut into 2 or 3 pieces, I dunno.

Brandon

Yes you can cut butts to "country style" ribs and I have seen some absolutely amazing pics of them on another forum.

Now the problem is that if it's BARK you are after, it takes time to form. Cutting to Country Style ribs won't provide that as the cooking time is much less.

I guess the same could be said for cutting your Butts down to 1/3's. You might find it just doesn't have the time to form up. I defeinately have heard lots of people who cut down their butts in half to speed up cooking time and the end product is quite nice. I would definately experiment though if you like bark that much.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scooter B:
Yes you can cut butts to "country style" ribs and I have seen some absolutely amazing pics of them on another forum.

Now the problem is that if it's BARK you are after, it takes time to form. Cutting to Country Style ribs won't provide that as the cooking time is much less.

I guess the same could be said for cutting your Butts down to 1/3's. You might find it just doesn't have the time to form up. I defeinately have heard lots of people who cut down their butts in half to speed up cooking time and the end product is quite nice. I would definately experiment though if you like bark that much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a photo of some country-style pork ribs.

Country-StylePorkRibs.JPG

They were just an afterthought. I knew I had some empty space I could fill and picked up a package of country-style ribs on a quick run to the neighborhood grocery store. Because they were an afterthought, I simply sprinkled them with salt and pepper and smoked them just like that. I don't remember how long they were on, but it wasn't very long. They were tasty!

###

Cut it in half lengthwise, remove the bone if there is one. Should cook much quicker and you'll get bark on twice as much surface area. I don't see any problem with that.

Back