Mold

Scott Dace

TVWBB Super Fan
I kinda neglected my WSM and was relying heavy on my kettle. The last smoke I did was 2 boston butts. Well I have a BBQ coming up next sunday and when I went to open the lid it was like an alien was incubating in there.
I'm thinking a 10% solution of bleach to a quart of water to kill the mold and bacteria, then pressure wash it out. I'm open to suggestions.

thanks

The people on this board are divided into two groups, those that have had that happen and those that will.

Blast the bulk off with a hose, apply degreaser or bleach solution. Rinse thoroughly. Fire that thing up with the vents open and door off to get it nice and hot to sterilize everything.

I have found that not covering the WSM and keeping vents/door open prevents mold. Constant fresh air flow avoids mold entirely.

I had that happen to me last year. We had a 3 week stretch of rainy & cloudy days where I didn't use the WSM at all. When I did open her up, cooties were growing all over the place and it smelled horrid. So I borrowed the thick playtex gloves outta the kitchen, and scooped the wet mess out of the bottom. Buried that real quick. A wash with lots of degreaser and a scotchbrite plus rinsing took care of the cooties. Then a good burn with a bag of matchlite to sterilize it all. I trashed the ceramic pan and bought a new one at HD. Since those are made of unglazed clay, I didn't want to take a chance on having weird chemistry from detergents showing up.

I've been really busy the last few weeks,so I haven't had a chance to clean my WSM until today. EEWWWW! I took the pressure washer,sprayed it out,hit it with some degreaser and sprayed it out again! It was air drying until it started raining justa few minutes ago.
icon_eek.gif
But that's okay,it's still disassembled and upside down on a table.

Just did the same think this past weekend. It had been a couple of weeks since smoking, forgot I hadn't cleaned it. Went to put the cover on and lifted the lid. All those growing things shocked me. So I just fired up the briquettes that were left over with all the vents open. Should probably degrease it, but then all that good smoke residue will go away. I guess better that then getting sick from the mold.

So I am officially a "been there" now!

Originally posted by Mike_M:
I have found that not covering the WSM and keeping vents/door open prevents mold. Constant fresh air flow avoids mold entirely.
I store my WSM with the middle section upside down so the bottom section does not fill with water. That seems to keep it dry and prevent mold as well.

Originally posted by Mike_M:

Yep. I don't use the cover except for the cooler months when not smoking as much. If there's any possible rain in the forcast, I turn the middle section upside down and close the top vent only. No mold yet, but I also scrape the grates and "clean" the pan asap, usually the same day of a cook.

I agree, blast everthing with a water hose. Scrub it down w bleach, dishoap whatever, rinse, rinse, rinse! Then cook real hot (wo food) to kill any thing left and you are good to go!

Mine got like that and I thought it was ruined, so I threw it in the dumpster. Was that wrong?

Just kidding.

I do basic cleaning on my WSM's and One Touch's after every cook - dump ashes, wipe up any excess grease, brush the grates, and clean my water pans.
WSM's and 26 3/4" OTG are stored vents open and covered year round under an overhang on my deck. 22 1/2" OTS is in the same place with vents closed and has never been covered.
I have never had a problem with mold.

Mine in Fla gets mold growth all the time, within a couple days of a cook. All vents open has no affect.

Doesn't bother me a bit. I rinse with a hose before the next cook. No bleach, no chemicals, no big deal.

Mine recently had mold for the first time - just about a one inch ring near the top of the main body. Took a propane torch and took care of it quickly and easily. Did not want to try any bleach and this way, I kept water off my deck.
Ray

Back