Mold on wood?

P.Schaff

TVWBB Member
Had a bunch of damp apple wood chunks that I had left in a plastic bag, and seems about half of them now have a white mold on them. I can wash the mold off pretty easily but didn't know if it was ok to still use this wood. Will any remaining mold just cook off as the wood burns?

Thanks!
Pat

Pat.
you can sanitize your wood in a solution of 1.5 ounces of bleach added to 3 gallons of H20.
Soak the completely submerged wood for 2 minutes, drain then let air-dry.
Store in a well vented box ( I use cheap dollar store laundry baskets ). Avoid the bags, as they trap moisture.

HTH
Tim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P.Schaff:
I can wash the mold off pretty easily but didn't know if it was ok to still use this wood. Will any remaining mold just cook off as the wood burns? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep, just wash off it off with water, you can use a stiff scrub brush to aid in the removal. Set out in the sun to dry and store it in an open box. HTH

Appreciate the help fellas. Smoked a small shoulder (3 lbs) last night with the wood and it turned out great!

Back