Mold in cooker

DaleO

TVWBB Member
I have a WSM purchased years ago for competition, not used in a long time. It’s been stored with the cover in my shed. Just decided to get it out to take on a camping trip, it’s got mold. I seem to recall reading somewhere that the best approach to to burn a hot fire, full load of charcoal, then brush clean? I could also power wash if that’s better?

Yep, just burn it out no need for the power wash IMO.
I just did my old 18 that's been sitting for years and the burn off worked great.

Oh and no need to waste good charcoal. I just ran down to the dollar store and bought some cheap off the wall charcoal.
Used a whole bag..

I rinse mine out after every cook with only super hot water via a garden sprayer then let it dry out in the sun....scrub the grates down and empty the unburned coal and ash out into a metal bucket for later use. About twice a year I start a fire in it with no grates or water pan and just let burn a full chimney at 350 degrees to cleanse the cooker....i clean the vent areas with 409 to prevent them getting stuck in place

I just went through the same thing. Haven't used my WSM in several years - have a Kamado - but honestly like smoking better on WSM. So I decided to get the 22" out and it had a little mold. I keep a bag of cheap lump for high heat burn offs on kamado, and it worked great on WSM. I like the cheap lump better than briquettes for burn offs - as the cheap lump is small pieces and gets hotter. I just wiped it out with a paper towel after that and it was as good as new.

Going to do the same with the 14" wsm today if the weather cooperates.

Back