MOLD.....BLEACH......oh my!!!!

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.....Well it is getting harder and harder to find a good pure Genesis 300 series front control to restore and flip these days. So many of them lately have been warped from grease fires or the rust on the shelf that eats through the legs etc etc. I dont like flipping a grill that I have to make excuses for. So I picked up a Geni 335 front control today for $50 in Espresso Brown. I committed sight unseen due to the good inventory around here has slowed to a crawl. She was asking $35....I said I will give ya $50...I have a truck.....I can load my self. Well that won me a mold monster. I get there and it looks great....even the grates were stainless and looked perfect. Once I removed the grates and the bars it was mold central. It has rained here in Virginia for about 12 days straight and it has been very muggy. This grill obviously has not been used for a few months and just sat with a good slathering of grease in the box and in the large grease tray. So there was mold along the bottom slanted edges of the cook box which wasnt horrific but it was there and the large grease tray was literally a science project of green spores. I was always under the impression that high heat will kill mold so I just loaded it up. So I got the grill home and was wondering if........question #1. Will working with this mold cause it to get air born and make me sick? It was stuck in heavy grease so I dont know how it would get air born. I did wear a decent quality face mask but I have no idea if it was good enough to protect me from mold. I razor bladed all of the greasy mold from the large grease tray and wiped it clean. I then followed that with a couple coatings of a bleach mixture and let it sit for a while before wiping it dry. The grease tray looks brand new at this point. As for the cook box I first removed the heavy grease and mold with razor blades and putty knives. Once I got the box 85% scraped down I sprayed it with the bleach and water combo and let it sit and stew. I then went back in for another scraping w putty knives and razor blades to get the box to 90% clean and sprayed it again w bleach and water. I let that sit for about 20 min then sprayed it with a electric pressure washer to get most of the bleach good and diluted/rinsed. Tomorrow I will get the box to its final stage of 98% scraped clean of grease and debris and probably give it one last mist of bleach and water. So finally here is question #2.......I am wondering if anybody made it this far....but if you are still here.........Do you think that a 30 minute 600 degree series of 3 burn offs will be sufficient to call this grill safe?????

Jim, likely the mold is not a health risk. If you walk through the woods, you are literally walking on a carpet of mold. I think you went above and beyond in your mold remediation. A half hour on full heat should take care of anything remaining. IMO.

Thanks Bruce. My motto is to never sell a grill that I wouldn't feed my family from. I make them safe and reliable. I have cleaned numerous mouse nests out of grills in the past and made sure those were crazy clean through high heat cycles. I appreciate your feedback.

Hey Cody......dang I should have taken before pics.......there is nothing to see anymore. Green/gray and fuzzy mold is what I saw. I have seen mold in many grills but never this much. It accumulates on the grease. Heck there was some mold in my big grill on my Weber cast iron skillet because I am always using my Weber Q that the big girl 335 doesnt get used much.

Back