Mojo Pork Question

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Hello everyone! Need some advice.....
I'm going to be cooking multiple pork shoulders for a group of close friends - ALL from Central America and the Carribean. I've got a good recipe for Cuban style Mojo pork - I grill the shoulders over charcoal / high heat for 20-30 minutes to sear the outside a bit Then braise in a mojo bath for 3-4 hours. I use store bought mojo, from Publix. It's excellent.

Here is my issue: when the mojo reduces, it simply gets too thick and a little salty. I'm trying to determine the best liquid to add to the mojo bath so as to not alter the flavor, but at the same time lessen the impact of the liquid reducing. :confused: :confused: My head tells me a light lager like corona or similar. But I'd love an opinion with more expertise!!

Thanks - Jim

Hello, lime juice is also a good too. Reduce the amount of oil in your recipe. Pork has enough fat that you don't need oil in your marinade. Hope this helps

White wine is good, water would be just fine too, if all you need is to thin the broth/sauce a little without changing the flavor.

If you use wine, you'll probably want to make sure to heat it up high enough to cook out some of the alcohol, or it may impart an unpleasant taste.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I'll try water first....it's such a simple cook and the results are outstanding. Just need to reduce the richness / salt a tad and it will be perfect! I'll let y'all know how it goes!

You might try injecting the meat with a solution containing salt, then reduce the amount that goes on the outside. Even though some of the (salty) juice will leak out of the meat, you might have an easier time ending up with adequately seasoned meat and a sauce that's not too salty.

Back