Moisture in Pellet Box

A Harrison

TVWBB Member
Anyone else experience moisture in the pellet box during a cook?

Note: I am not talking about moisture associated with leaving pellets in the hopper after a cook.

I think desecant would solve it but wasn’t sure of others experiences or if they had done the same?

I would guess that you are driving moisture out of the pellets in the hopper as they heat up. Where are you located and what is the humid? How have the pellets been stored?

I would guess that you are driving moisture out of the pellets in the hopper as they heat up. Where are you located and what is the humid? How have the pellets been stored?
Located in Maryland, pellets have been stored in doors in a sealed container

I have cooked for 36 hours in driving rain and did not get moisture in the hopper. Believe me, I checked. If you have a cold, wet day and start a cook, you might get a little condensation as the hopper heats up.

I have cooked for 36 hours in driving rain and did not get moisture in the hopper. Believe me, I checked. If you have a cold, wet day and start a cook, you might get a little condensation as the hopper heats up.
My next step is going to be to put new nomex fire block in the areas that seem to have lost adhesion at the bottom of the firebox

I was thinking hopper because you really shouldn't have any close to the firebox......

Do we need a picture?

I was thinking hopper because you really shouldn't have any close to the firebox......

Do we need a picture?
I will take pictures tomorrow. If you look at the underside of the firebox there is gasket material between the firebox and the bump out for the fan/auger motor.

Are the pellets kept in an air conditioned spot? Maybe condensation is forming from the colder pellets, cooling off the warm moist air. There must be humid days in the mid-Atlantic area.

Back