Mixing charcoal

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I was wondering if others mix their type, or brand of charcoal, for a cook.
Kingsford blue bag is my main source for most grilling sessions, but I like to mix in some Stubb's or Kingsford Comp briquets, and sometimes lump, too.

It has been my observation that Stubb's and K-Comp are slower to fully light, therefore extending the burn time.
And I put them on top due to less ash.

I often grill whole potatoes, so by the time they're about done, the 'natural' stuff is really kicking in for the meat, etc.

Sorry if this has been talked to death, I don't recall seeing the topic.

I mix types depending on what I am grilling. I like to add Stubbs or Wicked Good hard wood chunk to K blue for steak.

Mike

I do not mix brands, but I sometimes mix use lump and briquettes. There is no doubt that lump burns hotter, and for a shorter period, so for some cooks it can be smart to use both. As an example, if I have been a miser and used less briquettes, I always top up with some lump to get the temps up as fast as possible.

last time i mixed briquettes it wasn't a pretty sight...flames were all over the place and the hot dogs did not like it at all!! :p

I use Ro briqs or lump. Depending which one is cheaper ,I 'll use one to light the chimney and another to fill the coal grate.

Tim

Bob, up here we do not have the variety of lump brands you do. I use left-overs for lighting and grilling and will mix lump and brickets in my smoker. Usually lump is cheaper where I am and with the Nomex on my WSM I have pretty good heat control so a bottom layer of briqs to cover any possible burn out areas and lump on top. I made up this basket to handle the small pieces and it works well for me. More height and less surface area.
IMG_0308-1.jpg
[/IMG]
I'm not a fan of the standard blue and white bag of Kingsford so that leaves me with Maple Leaf mostly and RO lump which works great.

FYI I do not use the ring with the basket it just shows the size difference.

Last edited:
Seems if your using one thing(KB) and you have to add something else because it works better with less ash and higher heat then you might as well just use the good stuff. If it takes a little longer to get going just light your chimney 10 minutes sooner. That being said I use lump pretty much exclusively.
I know people buy large quantities of something because it's on sale even though they would prefer to use something else but I'm willing to pay a little more to get what I like and what works best for me.

Great point Bob, but I really like KB, the ash doesn't bother me at all.
And it's easy on the budget when one grills as much as I do.
It's all I use most of the time.

The consistency and predictability of KB, IMO, is hard to beat.
Mixing it gives me the options I'm looking for in a controlled, long burning fire, bringing the heat for the meat when I want it.
Yes, I could add more KB when needed, but that would cut into my relaxation time:)

PS, Nice setup Gary!

I mix K-B with various makers of lump, and on a regular basis...a layer of K on the bottom to ensure a full burn and then lump on top. I use mesquite from a number of suppliers- origin-in Mexico, and lump from RO, Cowboy, Just Smoked Salmon, and a host of others, really.

I use KB for my grilling and RO lump for my smoking. i just picked up a bag of stubbs and have used it on one short salmon smoke in the kettle and it did take a long time to light, but cooked nicely and not much ash at all

I prefer Stubbs but use KB because I can get it at the sales for <$.20/lb. I don't see the benefit of mixing unless all I had was partial bags of different brands. Since I always have at least 150 lbs on hand, that never happens.

I use leftover charcoal a lot, and flip between RO and KB, so any given cook usually involves whatever is leftover from my previous outing mixed in with new charcoal. I've never really had any issue with mixing brands or types.

Since this is “grilling”, you bet. If I’m looking for a hotter “indirect” I mix in either K Comp and/or Wicked Good with the Blue. Lately I discovered Wegmans Lump. At $5.99/10 pounds I decided to give it a try. It lights easy but burns quick. The size and price are nice however so now I keep a few bags on hand as sort of a kicker for the Blue when I want to go hotter.

Since this is “grilling”, you bet. If I’m looking for a hotter “indirect” I mix in either K Comp and/or Wicked Good with the Blue. Lately I discovered Wegmans Lump. At $5.99/10 pounds I decided to give it a try. It lights easy but burns quick. The size and price are nice however so now I keep a few bags on hand as sort of a kicker for the Blue when I want to go hotter.
Thank you Rolf!
Finally someone who gets what I was trying to get at:)
I sometimes like a mix to kick it up both ways, direct and indirect.

Last edited:

Rolf - From what I've read, Wegmans charcoal (lump and bricks) is Royal Oak made for them. Weg's price is usual better and I get there more often.

Bob - I really don't mix (especially since I'm still cooking from 24 bags of Stubbs from last year) but I will line the bottom of my chimney with briquettes when I use lump. I cook on a wooden deck and am not a fan of the smaller pieces of lump falling out the bottom of my chimney. I usually just control heat with either extra lit or extra air, but then again I did stockpile Stubbs.

Rolf - From what I've read, Wegmans charcoal (lump and bricks) is Royal Oak made for them. Weg's price is usual better and I get there more often.

Bob - I really don't mix (especially since I'm still cooking from 24 bags of Stubbs from last year) but I will line the bottom of my chimney with briquettes when I use lump. I cook on a wooden deck and am not a fan of the smaller pieces of lump falling out the bottom of my chimney. I usually just control heat with either extra lit or extra air, but then again I did stockpile Stubbs.
Oh the beauty of a Performer, light the baskets or a chimney and get cookin' with no transportation involved;)

For grilling, I'm not particular and will mix lump with briqs or empty short bags of whatever is laying around to get the job done.

I used a mx of leftover charcoal once for a steak. I had coconut, lump and Kingsford Blue in the kettle all at once. Maybe it was me or the St. Arnold I was drinking, but that was a **** fine steak. I have yet to try it in my WSM though. The ash buildup from a full ring of Kingsford Blue has me thinking about mixing in some lower ash charcoal for the times when my cook exceeds 14 hours though.

This is a great question. But from what I've learned mixing is a great idea. The problem is lump burns fast and hot where as KBB burn consistant and slow. So a goo mix will give you a nice cook. The only issue I have is the little pieces of lump, if I could get my grate to the point where the piece would not fall through I would probably use all lump. As for now i use a couple of rows of KBB on the bottom, lump and wood in the middle and KBB to start the party off. BTW I am using a 22.5 WSM. What do you guys think ?

Back