Mixing charcoal

This is a great question. But from what I've learned mixing is a great idea. The problem is lump burns fast and hot where as KBB burn consistant and slow. So a goo mix will give you a nice cook. The only issue I have is the little pieces of lump, if I could get my grate to the point where the piece would not fall through I would probably use all lump. As for now i use a couple of rows of KBB on the bottom, lump and wood in the middle and KBB to start the party off. BTW I am using a 22.5 WSM. What do you guys think ?

This is a great question. But from what I've learned mixing is a great idea. The problem is lump burns fast and hot where as KBB burn consistant and slow. So a goo mix will give you a nice cook. The only issue I have is the little pieces of lump, if I could get my grate to the point where the piece would not fall through I would probably use all lump. As for now i use a couple of rows of KBB on the bottom, lump and wood in the middle and KBB to start the party off. BTW I am using a 22.5 WSM. What do you guys think ?
Some folks use 2 charcoal grates, crisscrossed, to hold the little buggers.

I've never really understood people who say that lump burns to fast and hot. Since the lump has a higher btuh/lb value than briquettes you actually use less lump to keep the same temperature in your cooker than you would briquettes. You just need to restrict the air a little more than if you where using briquettes. Yes in an open fire application the lump will burn down faster but most of us don't cook like that except for a short period to sear.

That is my point. Even after a couple of decades of grilling, I never seem to learn to light my grill early enough. If I use some lump, I do not have to wait to get the temps right, and the briquettes makes it possible to have good heat until I'm finished.

I hope I'm not off- topic, I have never logged any brand differences. The coal that I can get, would be irrelevant anyways.

Last edited:
I love my Stubb's briquettes, but will often add hardwood lump at the end to bump up the temperature to sear my steaks/other meat or to help my briquettes finish my other food on a longer grilling cook. The hardwood lump I was using (Cowboy's) did not add that yucky taste you can get when adding certain unlit briquettes. I am excited to try a bag of Royal Oak hardwood lump to see how it goes.

Laura

I am new here but by reading tons of info here and other sources i often mix KB with some lump to get a nice higher heat with less holes and that hardwood flavor.

824c4c90.jpg

Baskets for a recent pizza cook:o

Hard to see but there is a mix of lump and KB.

esr

Is it okay to mix in unburnt pieces of lump charcoal into your fresh lump? I have been getting incomplete burns and was hoping that this stuff wouldn't go to waste.

Is it okay to mix in unburnt pieces of lump charcoal into your fresh lump? I have been getting incomplete burns and was hoping that this stuff wouldn't go to waste.

You can, but its easier to just dump the lit on top of your unburned and let it take care of itself.

I use KBB by itself, I know how it burns and know what to expect. Lump is nice but I have had it explode, for lack of a better term, after I light it. One time I swear a .22 shell went off in my offset. That is what it sounded like, glad the door was down. I have found rocks in the ash after burning lump. Just like to know what to expect, no surprises.

I've never really understood people who say that lump burns to fast and hot. Since the lump has a higher btuh/lb value than briquettes you actually use less lump to keep the same temperature in your cooker than you would briquettes. You just need to restrict the air a little more than if you where using briquettes. Yes in an open fire application the lump will burn down faster but most of us don't cook like that except for a short period to sear.

I use lump most of the time. I took the extra step to put Nomex on my WSM. I also added a second dome vent and I have a charcoal basket. I turn the grate of my basket to 90 degrees to the original. Mostly I use a clay saucer. I can reduce temps by 50 degrees in 15 minutes using my vents even with the clay saucer. I can bottom out my dome therm in about 45 minutues from a cold start using the second dome vent, 350+. My smoker performs like a kettle if I want it to. Up here, lump is cheaper and there are only about 3 varities available of briqs. I do not use KB. I like the lump just have to pack it in and eliminate air spaces.

Last edited:

Back