Mixed Results

D Brazil

TVWBB Member
I had mixed results this weekend, any comments welcome. 1st after reading a chart that says to smoke a sirloin tip roast(about 6 lbs)for 8 hrs, I found that it was too long - result was meat was smoked but too dry (200-250 degrees). Future attempts I would think would be less time (maybe 6 hours), possibly brine the roast (there is not much fat on the tip) also maybe get a meat thermometer and figure out what the temp should be. Thoughts??? 2nd after reading about how to smoke a boneless Pork Loin, I took some advice and for the 1st time brined the roast in a solution for 4 hrs, then painted some marinade on it and covered in rub. Smoked it for about 7 hours (same temp as above and same size as tip). The result was terrific! Very moist, very tasty - not sure if I would do anything different.
I also did two racks of spare ribs up top, I normally cook baby backs and was surprised when the spares were a little too done. They were very tasty but just fell apart as I cut them. I’ve never had this problem with baby backs; they never literally fall off the bone so I’m thinking spares get done quicker than baby backs? So, if I had to do the spares again it would be a 5-6 hour smoke rather than a 7 hour. A couple other things I’m wondering about – I keep my bottom vents wide open and put my top vent about ½ closed. My thought was to keep as much smoke inside the smoker for as long as possible. I’m reading conflicting reports on the optimum way to control heat/smoke? Comments???

Welcome to TVWB.

"sirloin tip roast" Time/temperature is relative. Depending on where you measure your WSM temperature, it could be a different temperature where your meat is located.

"also maybe get a meat thermometer". Definitely a must when cooking roasts. Do you know what the final temperature of your roast was?

"two racks of spare ribs up top" depending on you water pan configuration (water/no water/heat sink like sand or ceramic pot) temperature could be hotter or cooler here.

"spares get done quicker than baby backs" Spares(all things equal) will take longer than baby backs to cook.

"bottom vents wide open and put my top vent about ½ closed" generally control your temperature by using bottom vents only, top vent fully open.

"smoke inside the smoker" for additional smoke flavor, add more smoke wood. Putting in one small chunk of wood and trying to keep all of the smoke from that one chunk just won't work.

Back